You can understand the subconscious/conscious relationship

Sep 2012
Rochester, New York
We live in internal/external. With time as our guide.
Establishing a new system might include something with no location.
If you ever heard the song my wounded guide about God you might think that the old system means that time is wounded.
Before we understand everything we need to find out what can heal time.
Then we can incorporate a new system.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Lieutenant, "Before we understand everything".?
How can we understand everything? We are human, our mind cannot understand everything. pljames

[quote author=Lieutenant link=topic=2535.msg22139#msg22139 date=1351188953]
We live in internal/external. With time as our guide.
Establishing a new system might include something with no location.
If you ever heard the song my wounded guide about God you might think that the old system means that time is wounded.
Before we understand everything we need to find out what can heal time.
Then we can incorporate a new system.
[/quote]

Oct 2014
Canada
Linking your Subconscious with Your Conscious

The power of your subconscious mind is something remarkable. the thought of making your subconscious actions conscious is mind blowing! I just started reading up on Robert Anton Wilson, his religion is based that everything we see is nothing more then the creation of a human thought. He created this experiment called The Quarter Experiment which in a small sense is manifesting a thought of a quarter until a quarter appears in your path. I personally have done this experiment and successfully found a quarter in the first day! So basically linking your subconscious to conscious is holding a thought consciously while having the desire or want subconsciously MIND = BLOWN! :eek:

Info on the Quarter Experiment and relative articles can be found at The Power of the Subconscious Mind - Subconscious Powers

Feb 2015
Winnipeg, Canada
This is very interesting subject and should be reactivated. Mind manipulation techniques are everywhere and our only weapon against them is our mind and knowledge we can get. Our conscious mind allows us to perceive the external environment but the mind manipulation techniques are designed in the way that exceeds our conscious understanding. This is why we have to learn how to talk to our subconscious. There are lots of interesting resources regarding subconscious powers and they can give us an answer how to recognize mind manipulation techniques and resist them.

Mar 2015
Lake Worth, FL
Bridging the Gap

Bridging the Gap between the subconscious and conscious parts of the mind are key to becoming a whole individual. Carl Jung called it Individuation and believed this is what is needed to expand ourselves and the world. There are so many influences around us and we are manipulated by so much information in the world, especially in western cultures. From advertisement to the subconscious message of TV shows, most of it is beyond our conscious awareness.

The subconscious mind holds much more information than our conscious mind. When we see or experience something our conscious takes in only a fraction of what our subconscious mind can comprehend. To be aware of these influences and know ourselves is really the only way you can make yourself into who you want to be. Most of us are lost, confused in ways we can't even begin to describe. We feel disconnected because our awareness of ourselves is lacking, but we do have the power and control to overcome any previous programing from any outside influence, it starts with awareness and the desire to change!

Sep 2012
Here, Now
The subconscious mind holds much more information than our conscious mind. When we see or experience something our conscious takes in only a fraction of what our subconscious mind can comprehend.
Well, yeah. But in all fairness to the conscious mind (our conscious awareness in this moment, the contents of our attention), it has more information available to it than it can pay attention to at once. Our attention is like a moving window on a part of the subconscious -- kinda like looking at only the part of a TV screen through a movable lens which is much smaller than the TV screen itself.

To make the point, what your reading now has to pass through several unconscious and subconscious perceptual processes which take the raw sense data, and organize it into something you can understand as more than a group of squiggly lines and shapes on your screen. The point I'm making is that you're looking through that lens right now, and you can move it if you want by thinking about your left foot or the temperature of the room or the focus on recalling a memory... etc.

Our conscious mind also can do some things that the unconscious mind can't -- it's primary job is to give the subconscious a direction, and monitor it to keep it on track. So, it's capable of change and affecting change while the subconscious is more like a machine doing whatever it's been told to do, according to how it's been trained to do it -- either by being conditioned by the environment or consciously trained by our conscious for our own nafarious purposes.

However, on it's own, the subconscious is like a wind up toy likely to wind up like a lemming. It needs the conscious mind to direct it and keep it in check. ( Seriously, when you argue with "yourself" who do you think you're arguing with? ;) )

Speaking to everyone whose posted in this thread:

So, personally I don't go all goo-goo mystical about the 'mysterious' subconscious. I'm an engineer. ;)

If you REALLY want to understand the relationship between the conscious and subconscious, look up Dual Process Theory. That will give you a really good overview and headstart in a useful direction.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_process_theory

To be aware of these influences and know ourselves is really the only way you can make yourself into who you want to be. Most of us are lost, confused in ways we can't even begin to describe. We feel disconnected because our awareness of ourselves is lacking, but we do have the power and control to overcome any previous programing from any outside influence, it starts with awareness and the desire to change!

You probably already worked out that I agree with you, except in my case, I get a kick out of it. It's a hell of a lot of fun. ;)

Last edited:
Mar 2020
US
My current path to self discovery took a total of 6 months barely doing anything else, and hearing voices constantly. Because I was hearing voices, which I knew represented different people in my past who I had not come to terms with. I decided to negotiate with them until I understood what had happened to me in the past and get a rough glimpse of my current environment.

I kept a log of all the ideas that I derived from these discussions with the voices and wrote the equivalent of a short book full of theories of how to develop myself to engage in a successful life. I also listened to audiobooks about self help, business, and psychology to get some new information. I'm very satisfied with my six months of reflection and am ready to move forward.

I know pretty much no one else can allow themselves six months of nearly undisturbed time, but perhaps you can speed through the process of you are more acute than I am.

The key strategies I used were

Algabraic simplification of common variables which I learned in middle school algebra,

Association between different topics,

Give and take with the demands of the voices, giving in half the time and requiring them to cooperate with me the other half of the time. You could say I developed a relationship with all the people in my past that hurt me and made peace with them.

I listened to people knowing that they all speak a unique language which I must decipher rather than assuming that I already understood what they were saying. I looked at people as objects with their own thoughts and cultures unrelated to anyone elses. By isolating each individual I was able to see how they were exactly like me in brain structure only with different garblings of information, some which I took, some which I ignored, and some which I offered.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk