Woman Never Experiences Fear

Feb 2011
USA
Woman Never Experiences Fear | News - Home
The article starts with a short list of things that some people experience as frightening.
Any such list cannot be comprehensive because there's many things people are conditioned to react to with fear. What's missing from the list? There's a glaring omission that's crucial to any such list, no matter how short; and that is "thoughts"
Think a thought that disturbs you. Your (healthy) amygdala just reacted to thought.
Think of when you first fell in love, or think of who you love now. It's your thoughts that evoke your emotions.
"Thought Conditioning" is virtually unrecognized by most people.
First we are conditioned by other people simply by learning language. Then we are also conditioned to condition ourselves by "believing" thoughts.
We don't have to have Urbach-Wiethe disease, like S.M. or lesions on our amygdala to not emote to thoughts. We can learn to regulate which thoughts we want to experience.
Intrusive, errant thoughts are the bane of peak performance, whether in sports or daily living.
My first experience,(that I recall), with this phenomenon, was when my amygdalae reacted to the thought of 'bogyman'. I didn't need amygdala lesions; anesthesia nor lobotomy to stop being afraid of a thought. All it took was recognition/understanding.

Feb 2011
USA
The Notable Feature Of Our Amygdala Is Automaticity

They are hard-wired; pre-programmed so we contend with the experience 'after the fact' initiated by our amygdala alarm.
We can learn to regulate our amygdala : Don't think of a elephant. You try 'not' to think of a elephant but you automatically do. So your influencing your automatic thinking. You are escalating the automatic reaction you don't want.
When you try to perform your best; and you 'don't want to make a mistake'; that very thought causes you to make a mistake.
If you want to calm your amygdala alarm, it certainly won't be with thoughts such as;
"Don't be nervous"; "Don't make a mistake". Such thoughts function as imperatives.
How do you 'not' think of a elephant? How do you 'not' think of making mistakes?:; How do you 'not' think of being stressed/nervous? Don't think of what you don't want, because that's what you get. Ironic, but it is so.

Feb 2011
USA
You can test that our neurology reacts to thoughts with the Chevreul Pendulum and Polygraph Device.
Hold the pendulum still while thinking it swinging or rotating, remember to hold it still.
Then do it again, this time think while looking at the pendulum, "Do NOT swing or rotate".
It will move as if the word 'NOT' was not used.
(Note: some people use Chevreul Pendulum to make predictions, they hold the pendulum over fertilized eggs and predict whether the hatched chick will be male or female.
Some people hold the pendulum over a pregnant woman's stomach and predict whether the baby will be boy or girl. I do not recommend using it that way. I only suggest using the pendulum to demonstrate ideomotor reactions, it's not easy to access polygraph devices.)

You have the ability to think. Thoughts activate amygdalae.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
Are 'thoughts' being,(unwittingly) used as placebos/nocebos?

We have the ability to think and recycle remembered thoughts.
We cue/trigger our amygdalae with thoughts,(mistakenly), believed to be perceptions.
That seems like using thoughts as placebos to me; what does it seem like to you?

Byron Katies first question is; "Is it true"? (asked about any presented thought).
Her first question is analogous to asking; "Is the sugar pill medicine"?

Feb 2011
USA
We all experience the "Iatrogenic Effect" of language/thoughts unwittingly

A prime example are bullies who hurt peoples feelings using language.
We experience untoward emotions,(of our own doing), by believing thoughts are things.
When we, (as children), believed the thought of bogyman was real, we experienced fear. Once we recognized it was only thought, we stopped reacting to it.
Check now; remember your thought of bogyman, because you recognize it as 'thought', you no longer react to it.
How much stress is the result of 'Iatrogenic Effect' of 'believed' thoughts?

Last edited: