Why am I so afraid of everything all of a sudden?

Jan 2022
New York
I'm 26. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I was told I have generalized anxiety on top of major depressive disorder if that's important. But lately, my anxiety has been ten times worse it seems. I'm terrified of everything and been having the worst existential crisis.
For examples: I'm terrified all the time that something bad is going to happen to myself and others around me. My mind keeps conjuring up scenarios of people getting hurt or the worst case scenario in certain situations.
I'm always on edge waiting for something bad to happen.
Not to mention, the worst of it is I'm always stressing over the fact that I am the age I am and in a really cruddy life situation as it is and it feels irreversible. I'm convinced my life will never get any better and there is no point to my life. Like, I keep thinking life is meaningless. But at the same time, I'm constantly terrified of getting old and dying. I'm at a point where the thought of getting any older than I am literally terrifies me.
It sounds irrational and strange I know. I cry over these thoughts and feel so down more and more every day.
I have no one to talk to, I have no friends, my boyfriend is emotionally unavailable so it's hard to talk to him, and those that I do talk to are as negative or more negative than I am. It's frustrating and I feel like I'm losing my grip on myself.
I'm so scared and don't know where this mentality is coming from. I just want to know why I think this way and what I can do to change it cause it's not as easy as just thinking positive.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Ok, you did not get here in a day, and you will not get cured in a day. First, you are of value, your parents, friends, teachers, relatives, and religious mentors have all put effort toward you, and still care about you and where you are going. Regarding your anxiety, try logging your fears, and see how predictable they are. (Logically you may realize they are unfounded, but until you confront them by logging them you may continue to be controlled by them) As each fear is not fulfilled put a oine through it and realize it did not come true. As you begin to cognisantly see your fears NOT coming true you should begin to see how often you are having unfounded fears. In the same way you have programmed your brain for anxiety, you now have to begin unprogramming it. Cognitive Behavior Therapy may help, as well as other Retrain the Brain disciplines. You should seek help through counselors, teachers, religeous leaders, anyone you feel you can trust. If you are not exercising, begin a regimine there, as many endorphins and other helpful hormones are produced. Good luck, you can overcome this, but it will take baby steps at first until you begin to get your confidence back.
Let us know how you are doing,
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
I'm 26. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I was told I have generalized anxiety on top of major depressive disorder if that's important. But lately, my anxiety has been ten times worse it seems. I'm terrified of everything and been having the worst existential crisis.
For examples: I'm terrified all the time that something bad is going to happen to myself and others around me. My mind keeps conjuring up scenarios of people getting hurt or the worst case scenario in certain situations.
I'm always on edge waiting for something bad to happen.
Not to mention, the worst of it is I'm always stressing over the fact that I am the age I am and in a really cruddy life situation as it is and it feels irreversible. I'm convinced my life will never get any better and there is no point to my life. Like, I keep thinking life is meaningless. But at the same time, I'm constantly terrified of getting old and dying. I'm at a point where the thought of getting any older than I am literally terrifies me.
It sounds irrational and strange I know. I cry over these thoughts and feel so down more and more every day.
I have no one to talk to, I have no friends, my boyfriend is emotionally unavailable so it's hard to talk to him, and those that I do talk to are as negative or more negative than I am. It's frustrating and I feel like I'm losing my grip on myself.
I'm so scared and don't know where this mentality is coming from. I just want to know why I think this way and what I can do to change it cause it's not as easy as just thinking positive.
I mean, as someone who suffered from major depression in the past, which is perhaps less chronic than the disorder counterpart, I'd have to say now looking back and with some "adult" self-analysis, it is because you are justly afraid of the world. And I wouldn't say that is a bad thing, tbh, as the world can be dangerous, but yes, in theory it is best to learn to have a positive mindset, and keep the anxiety levels limited, however I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing being sensitive to certain situations and hence depressed as it is just you being intuitive about dangers, and that is ok, as long as it doesn't become overwhelming, and you don't internalise negativity etc. which you can learn to fix a bit with cbt, otherwise it can cause you physical health issues.