What is the "anatomy" of "believing"?

Feb 2011
USA
"Homeostasis", absence of perturbation

Fight/flight implies anger/fear experiencing. What do we want to change when we want to change? What changes when we do change? Our experiencing, our reactions to stimulus.
For eons, concern was with external stimulus. With the advent of language/thinking, there's a second source of stimulus. Our nervous system, often seems not to have noticed, and so does not distinguish between external and internal, and so goes on 'as business as usual'.
We can't always change external stimulus, but it seems we can regulate our thoughts; thereby our experiencing/reactions to thoughts.
The word 'bogyman' has not changed, but our reaction to it has, that is, no more reacting to it. How do we refrain from reacting to that word, when as children we did react to it?
We, like all creatures, are 'hard wired' to react to perceptions for safety/survival.
We had to learn/be conditioned to react to language/thoughts.
It's not rocket science to recognize that when thoughts are disguised as perceptions, our hard wiring reacts to the ruse in typical placebo fashion; that we colloquially call; "making a mistake". Such 'mistakes' are avoidable by "thought recognition".

Words refer to referents; so why did we make it a habit to react to words per se in lieu of the referents? Why the 'switcheroo'?
Switch back to recognizing thoughts as thoughts and not react to thoughts automatically like they were perceptions; make it optional because some thoughts are erroneous, so it's a mistake to react to false thoughts.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
What are thoughts made of ?

Anything we think about something is thought.
The word 'anything' implies thoughts are 'things' also. That is taken literally by our amygdalas; and so reacts to thoughts as if they were 'things', ("matter").
Are thoughts 'matter'? Does it matter to know for sure?

Quantum physicists are aware of their inferences about the quantum level. (their inferences are correct).
Very often, we laymen are 'not' aware of our thoughts but react to them with certainty not warranted because some thoughts are erroneous.
Do you recognize when it's thought your reacting to instead of perception of fact?

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
It's in your best interests to believe this.

When we recognize our amygdalas react to thoughts; (as well as to perceptions); it behooves us to chose efficacious thoughts to experience.
'Russian Roulette' with thoughts, is no longer feasible.
(If you chose not to believe this, you take a risk that's not worth the emotional perturbation).

http://www.3pgc.org/blog/war-and-peace---judith-sedgeman/

Some thought images are mistakenly taken as seriously as perceptions. Which ones? The ones 'believed'.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
What is the "anatomy" of "believing"? Is the question.

I was hoping for a dialogue; I can only go so far alone. What did i find?
I find the qualities of 'believing' to be 'sureness'; 'certainty' and 'true''
'True' is defined as, " conforming with reality" or 'facts'. But we know many thoughts are false and/or lies; the opposite of true. So 'believing' arbitrarily is to take a RISK; heads or tails.

Feb 2011
USA
Do you allow/sanction others to stimulate your amygdalas to react?

In the vernacular/colloquially called; "pushing my buttons".
That's what causes feelings to be activated/provoked.
Do you chose and approve of your own thoughts that stimulate your amygdalas to experience stress; anxiety; hurt; etc. ?

Do you notice my premise is different from yours?
All creatures are hard wired to react to perceptions. Humans react to both perceptions and thoughts, (ones own and those of others.)
If you recognize thoughts DO NOT have the same certainty * as perception of facts; you are likely to choose, that is, exercise the option of choosing the thoughts you want to experience.
( We don't chose to see; but we can chose what thoughts we want to experience.)
* some perceptions are mirage/illusions; so even perceptions are questionable. (but not as often nor as many as thoughts.)

Last edited:
Feb 2015
United States
Wow!

Up to almost 1,200 posts having a conversation with yourself about the same topic. Have you ever thought about getting checked for Aspergers syndrome?

I still don't understand why you post in here and do not make your message available to the public. If you have such awesome advice, why hide the message in this obscure forum? Maybe because your advice isn't so awesome? You think?

Jan 2012
New York
Wow!

Up to almost 1,200 posts having a conversation with yourself about the same topic. Have you ever thought about getting checked for Aspergers syndrome?
Well, it's a handy place to keep ones personal journal but Aspergers was my first guess--no sense of social protocols.

Feb 2011
USA
Wow!

I still don't understand why you post in here and do not make your message available to the public. If you have such awesome advice, why hide the message in this obscure forum? Maybe because your advice isn't so awesome? You think?
Do,you,know something about 'believing', not yet covered? If so please share it. I want this thread to be comprehensive. You might just be the person who adds some vital input. Readers would go; "Aha, PhilosophyofLife is the man".

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
Hi sorter: How do you like the other site? (Uncommon Forum)
I checked it three times for a thread you may have started, but so far I only saw you made one reply to someone about their 'problem'.

Jan 2012
New York
Hi sorter: How do you like the other site? (Uncommon Forum)
I checked it three times for a thread you may have started, but so far I only saw you made one reply to someone about their 'problem'.
I take much comfort in the fact that you don't know where I live--but you won't understand that either.