what is reality?

SWM

May 2008
what is reality?

i have some complex thoughts around reality. not so much what reality is but how it is.

i wanted to throw this question to see what are other peoples thoughts about reality. how do you know your experiences are real? what is real?

Oct 2008
Real? To me and since as far as I know in my thinking I am right Real, is what you believe.. At that moment in time. Real can change, or not, that is what I believe.

If I misunderstood sorry

Oct 2008
reality for me is everything what you can feel..
relity is wat u can believe on... things happening around u are real as far as you can feel them to be true..

:)

SWM

May 2008
hiya norma,

[quote author=norma link=topic=517.msg2015#msg2015 date=1225418024]
Real? To me and since as far as I know in my thinking I am right Real, is what you believe.. At that moment in time. Real can change, or not, that is what I believe.

If I misunderstood sorry
[/quote]i dont think you misunderstood. but i think it is a complicated concept. it is one of those things that becomes more obscure the more you study. a bit like consciousness. what actually is it?

anyway, your answer takes us to a fundamental problem with trying to understand reality.
if it is real to you, does that make it real for other people? if not then is it real at all?

for example. real is what you believe. if you believe in fairies and you have seen them with your own eyes you could say they are real. yes?

but i on the other hand, i have never seen a fairy and i dont believe they exist.

so on this scenario are fairies real or not real?

SWM

May 2008
hi shilpa,

[quote author=eliteshilpa1988 link=topic=517.msg2032#msg2032 date=1225476254]
reality for me is everything what you can feel..
relity is wat u can believe on... things happening around u are real as far as you can feel them to be true..

:)
[/quote]again this answer takes us to the same fundamental problem with understanding reality. norma gave a subjective starting point and you give us an objective starting point but both lead to the same problem.

to illustrate;
you have been living with a friend for two years, sharing a home, you dont see a great deal of each other but you have regular contact. now during conversation with your family you are talking about the friend that you share a house with and your family replies that you have lived alone for two years. you try to find evidence of your friend but there is nothing concrete that can prove his existence. next time you see your friend you confront him and he laughs it off.

is your friend real or not real?

Oct 2008
[quote author=stan link=topic=517.msg2035#msg2035 date=1225493557]
hiya norma,
i dont think you misunderstood. but i think it is a complicated concept. it is one of those things that becomes more obscure the more you study. a bit like consciousness. what actually is it?

anyway, your answer takes us to a fundamental problem with trying to understand reality.
if it is real to you, does that make it real for other people? if not then is it real at all?

for example. real is what you believe. if you believe in fairies and you have seen them with your own eyes you could say they are real. yes?

but i on the other hand, i have never seen a fairy and i dont believe they exist.

so on this scenario are fairies real or not real?

[/quote]

Stan, As far as I go, if you believe and have seen fairies, you believe and rightly so. taking that to another level. You have seen and believe in the good works of someone everyone else is demeaning. Now what??? Me I would defend and speak out for my "someone" would you? If you don't do you still believe?

Seriously isn't this what discussion is based on?

I am sure this is simplistic but I have always wondered.....

Nov 2008
[quote author=stan link=topic=517.msg2036#msg2036 date=1225494624]
to illustrate;
you have been living with a friend for two years, sharing a home, you dont see a great deal of each other but you have regular contact. now during conversation with your family you are talking about the friend that you share a house with and your family replies that you have lived alone for two years. you try to find evidence of your friend but there is nothing concrete that can prove his existence. next time you see your friend you confront him and he laughs it off.

is your friend real or not real?
[/quote]

NOT REAL. The problem is, all of this can only be opinions. The definition of “reality” would actually support this friend being “real”. The problem is, we don’t have any standards as to how many people, of what frame of mind, must be able to see or comprehend something in order for it to be considered part of reality. Most people tend to live within their own reality, and live within the belief that “Its real to me, therefore it is real” (bordering on the topic of religion here). But if that was me in your story, I’d be running to the psychologists office. If I can not find evidence to support something, then TO ME it is not real.

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
What is reality? Reality can be measured using what you know. What you think you know. What don't know and what you can't know. Any situation real or hypotethetical can be measured using these criteria. Thus giving you the ability to conduct a quantatative measurment.

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
I have been working on a text for some time that attempts to put reality in formulas. The plan is to first write the basic text. Which I have done. Then design courses and put the courses on computer. Almost done. After this modify the courses so that a computer can take the courses and this should give the computer a standard of measurement. If the computer has a reference of what it knows or it's reality. This possibly could give it a sense of self or cognizance. At least that's the plan. To answer your question. A person measures their reality from their experiences and lack of experiences. A banker measures their reality from a bankers perspective. Further the banker must know what it takes to be a banker. If not they are prone to make unnecessary errors. I have found that keeping these four things straight in my mind allows me to be the most aware and honest. To avoid many errors and to deduce valuble information. Sometimes I have thought I know something then realized I just thought I knew it. This has allowed me to rethink information and make break thru's that I might not have acheived.