What does crying mean?

Jan 2022
Argentina
If I think and dwell upon a specific thought and begin to cry. What does that mean? Is it that that thought is harmful? That it anguishes me? Does it mean that I've got to work on that in particular?
Sorry if this does not belong here

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
If I think and dwell upon a specific thought and begin to cry. What does that mean? Is it that that thought is harmful? That it anguishes me? Does it mean that I've got to work on that in particular?
Sorry if this does not belong here
Yes, it sounds like depression (major depression), I suffered from it in the past, and so recognise it. Now I feel anger which I hadn't felt before, in the past (before 2016), only after the therapy, as a response to for instance abuse and thus I don't get depressed anymore. Depression is caused by repressed anger. Anger is more healthy, supposedly but I think both sadness and anger make you sick, it is true that anger is healthier than depression, depression really made me very sick (with a tumor), whereas anger made me sick with stress and heart suffered from it. Now when someone abuses me I do get angry pretty quickly, especially from someone whose behaviour has been abusive a lot of time in the past too. It's also painful but less painful than depression perhaps. Also in the past I didn't think bad people existed, I mean I knew, but hoped for the best, now I am fully aware so things shift in life and when someone is mean it makes me quite anxious about the future, so yes, nevertheless I am trying not to feel all those negative emotions and simply tell them off and set boundaries, such as telling them to shut up and become angry, so that I at least maintain my mental health, as otherwise I get sick again, and besides that complaining about the behaviour won't change it, in fact people who are abusive simply enjoy abusing as they smile from the pleasure they feel. As a mainly emotional caregiver I also get burnout, but it's quicker when the cared person begins to manipulate me and talking about my life, and telling me things that I have no control over and blaming me over them. Supposedly love should be one-sided, but it is often one-sided it seems, you try hard, but it's never enough, for the whiner, and they hate others that moan too, I don't get that, so I can feel your pain, just hang in there. I just have things to do, and so the depressed mindset doesn't help me, the angry mindset does. Then they act like nothing happened and it starts all over again next day, if not with me, with the cat or some other loved one. It's annoying, because I get angry too and frustrated and I get harassed too and I was a victim of org crime, but I don't take it out on loved ones. I have some self control, it is just unhelpful behaviour, so yes, working on it with the histrionic person now, but not easy.

Last edited:
Aug 2021
Texas, USA
Agree with above, sounds like depression. Many other people have invested in you, parents, teachers, relatives, ministers, all of whom want to see you succeed. Find someone you can trust to talk to, counselor, Dr, clergy, and if you want to try to go the self help route, look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy. Also exercise releases good hormones into your system, find things to do, play the guitar, read a good book, look for the good things in life to focus on. Start seeking them out and put the bad behind you...
Best of luck,
Ivery