what do you think about thought?

SWM

May 2008
[quote author=sakoz link=topic=129.msg17522#msg17522 date=1322499643]
SWM; You 'stickler'; :) You presume correctly; I refer to autonomic nervous system when I use the word 'involuntary'. Specifically our amygdala et al.
Involuntary is a process you write; don't processes have initiating cause? Start and stop 'signal'?[/quote]is the universe a process? did it have a start / stop signal? what about evolution is it a process with a start stop signal?

Feb 2011
USA
LOL; "is the universe a process"? You mean before the big bang? "What about evolution is it a process with a start stop signal"? No stop signal yet.
Was evolution in progress before the earth cooled enough to sustain living creatures? Does evolution 'roam' the universe looking for planets on which to take residence?
I prefer to stay with alleviating or posssibly avoiding emotional suffering, but I do find 'philosophizing' very interesting.

( I use the word 'evolution' to living things; I suppose you can say planets evolve, that would include rocks here on earth?)

SWM

May 2008
[quote author=sakoz link=topic=129.msg17533#msg17533 date=1322507367]
LOL; "is the universe a process"? You mean before the big bang? "[/quote] yes if you believe the big bang spewed forth the universe what was the start or stop signal for the process.

What about evolution is it a process with a start stop signal"? No stop signal yet.
Was evolution in progress before the earth cooled enough to sustain living creatures?
did living creatures just pop into existence like the universe did according to the big bang theory.

Does evolution 'roam' the universe looking for planets on which to take residence?
how would evolution roam? if it did roam would it still be a process?

( I use the word 'evolution' to living things; I suppose you can say planets evolve, that would include rocks here on earth?)
what about minerals, chemicals, water, amino acids etc. building blocks of organisms. at what point does a combination of chemicals become a living being? or do they also pop into existence like the universe?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
When we are born we are bombarded with words. It would stand to reason then thoughts come from words. People use words. The words we speak or write are stored in a memory bank for later use. We (when older) can create them at will to be believed or rejected. We can give them value and meaning plus life with belief. Thoughts? pljames

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
I have asked deaf people how they think. Because they use sign language they have never heard words. I told them when I think sometimes I hear my voice saying. " I need to do this or that" etc. Or if I add it is like 6x6=36 + 14= 50. They told me at first when they were little they saw pictures of what they were thinking about. Then they saw either pictures or signing hands. I asked them if they were reading something? What do they hear inside their head then. This was weird. They still told me they see pictures. How can you read words and see a picture. They said they just do. I am not sure how this applies I just thought it was interesting.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
It would make sense to me if those who are deaf saw pictures. Those who have handicaps like deaf dumb and blind have extra capabilities to work with which replace there handicap. Interesting view. pl

Look up Visual Thesarurus.com Excellent thought on how the mind works. Something like maind mapping I think. pl

[quote author=S. Earl Martin link=topic=129.msg18433#msg18433 date=1328043526]
I have asked deaf people how they think. Because they use sign language they have never heard words. I told them when I think sometimes I hear my voice saying. " I need to do this or that" etc. Or if I add it is like 6x6=36 + 14= 50. They told me at first when they were little they saw pictures of what they were thinking about. Then they saw either pictures or signing hands. I asked them if they were reading something? What do they hear inside their head then. This was weird. They still told me they see pictures. How can you read words and see a picture. They said they just do. I am not sure how this applies I just thought it was interesting.
[/quote]

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
What I am beginning to think about thought is to be positive all the time and (analyse all negative thoughts for cause and replace it with positive thought Pert-5). pljames