Using games for motivation

Dec 2011
Hi, I'm 14 and about a year ago I started finding school quite difficult, most of all just keeping focused and motivated, i didn't really have any interests and so, i wasn't motivated, my friend started showing me some video games that I really liked and i started playing, it helped alot until a couple of months later, usually in school i would think oh when i finish this i get to go home and play video games, but after a couple of months its as if an inner force started trying to make excuses for me not to look forward to playing video games, sorry it Does sound really silly and stupid, and basicly somehow i would make these stupid excuses like.... if anyone knows anything about video games screen tearing, small artefacts, my mouse being a bit crap, ( yet still i can enjoy video games) and in school I would loose the motivation, I'm not sure, it might be a mental dissorder or something, the problem is they are unendless so if i fix one thing, like get a better mouse, its not gonna help because in my mind i make another excuse to not motivate myself, i guess there isn't really anything anyone can help with, just wanted to put this out there maybe someone has something similar?

Mar 2010
PA, USA
Maybe you just weren't playing the right games. Playing sh&*@% games can deter anyone. Care to list any titles?

Dec 2011
[quote author=pert -5 link=topic=2423.msg18224#msg18224 date=1327411376]
Maybe you just weren't playing the right games. Playing sh&*@% games can deter anyone. Care to list any titles?
[/quote]

well mainly just team fortress 2, but the strange thing is, i have fun with it, but once I'm not at my desk at the computer, its like my mind tries to make excuses to not look forward to playing it again, but once i CAN play it, i just play, because it IS alot of fun

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Tornadoes 2111,
What about Monopoly, three d chess, a game on how to start a business at fourteen. Learn the stock market. How to build a car a house. Basic psychology. How to understand your emotions is there more to my life than school? You sound very smart to me. Great thread. Have a journal. Go online with your friends and have a "What if" game. Paul

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
I find the reward system lacking. Your motivation to do something should be because you have a desire to do it. Not that you will receive a reward. Even people being paid to do work only has limited results.
The key would be why do you find school difficult? Were the subjects to hard? Or to easy? Did you just lose interest in school in general? Your future will depend on what you do now. I have always enjoyed learning. I just didn't like the structure of school. I prefered to learn on my own.
Why you do or don't want to play video games is not the important thing. Getting an education so you can have a productive future is whats important.
I will give you an example. I had a friend who would stay awake all night playing video games when he was in school. He kept getting further and further behind in school. He eventually dropped out and got a GED. Now he can't hold a job because he lacks the basic understanding of how things work to do most jobs today. He works until he gets fired then goes on unemployment and stays home and plays video games. Then gets a job long enough to qualify for unemployment and does the same thing over and over. He mooches money off of anyone who will give it to him. He complains how his life sucks, but doesn't do anything to change it. He had an opportunity to have a life, but made bad decisions and now he is stuck. Learn while you can and be the best and smartest you can be. Video games are fine for entertainment. Or a possible carreer? Just don't let them keep you from having a real life.