The Psychology of Belief

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
[quote author=SWM link=topic=735.msg19026#msg19026 date=1330094871]
@pljames, it is very interesting to read all these old threads you have been digging up.
[/quote]

They are only my experiences in my life. Do they contribute anything worth while? pl

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Bill, the (energy) of their mind is (addicted TO) a (substance or act Quote.
What energy of the mind. how is it made up of? Does consciousness have energy? pljames

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I lived a illusion for sixteen years thinking I was in charge of my life. I created the illusion because I did not want to (believe) I was not in charge of my life. I am now thinking we create our own illusions because we are incapable of believing any truth which proves we are wrong.
Be it scientist believer or whatever. pljames

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I created my illusion of belief concerning I was in control of my life and believed it. The question is why did I believe that lie? I summize I couldn't accept the truth so therefore my illusion. Until we control our thoughts as to there logic rationality and truth we will continue to hurt our self and others.

It seems our mind is influenced by outside forces we refuse to accept as programmed truths. Until we question our thoughts as valid thoughts then we shall reap our false beliefs. Thoughts please. pljames

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Farsight,
Could it be that they are frightened of finding the truth, they do not want to hear. "I have cancer, but do not want to hear it by my doctor". They have closed there mind and heart to any truth that might make them question there illusionary believed truth. I know for I was one. Paul

[quote author=Farsight link=topic=735.msg4204#msg4204 date=1245421699]
What beats me is how people who consider themselves to be scientific and rational believe in things for which no evidence exists, and believe in them so strongly that they will not examine contrary evidence. There's some kind of lock-up at work here. Like "I know it's true so I don't need to look at the evidence".
[/quote]

Sep 2011
I refuse to call myself a humanist anymore because of the science of psychology being overrun by atheists (and so-called "new" atheists) who think they should (as one article in WIRED magazine put it) "condemn not just belief in God but respect for belief in God. Religion is not only wrong; it's evil. Now that the battle has been joined, there's no excuse for shirking."

OP is supposedly looking for "advice and assistance" but then says (regarding religious belief), "It isn't rational. In extremis we're on the way back to the dark ages believing in mumbo jumbo." No assistance needed there. You're following the footsteps of neo-atheists who think "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises..." (place www. before this) cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/11/08/atheism.feature/index.html?_s=PM:WORLD

It takes a lot of effort to uncover the "mumbo jumbo" that is contained even in something like science. Here's one example regarding the "psychology" of faith:
(place http:// before this) scientismtimes.blogspot.com/2011/09/divine-intuition-cognitive-style.html