Temporary decrease of intelligence

Jul 2021
Germany
Hello everyone,

I'm sharing this because I would like to figure out what happened to me over the last few months, if someone has heard of this before or can build a connection to some known condition.

This is what happened: I feel like, for almost a year or so, my ability to think rationally and process information was worse than usual - as if my iq was lower by about 20 points for this rough time frame. What is even stranger to me though is the fact that during this time I did very well in learning a language and also got way over average scores on a university entrance exam that was sort of modelled after iq tests (there were ways to study for it though, so I don't think it really assesses iq).

So during this time I was very much capable of learning vocabulary and facts by heart, but I just couldn't think straight. If someone asked me a question I would have trouble grasping it for starters and then coming up with an answer would be even more bothersome.

This ended a couple of months ago and I feel like I used to before; I just don't understand what happened there. It felt like my head was in a more or less constant blur. During this time I was also under a lot of emotional stress, which I figured may be a cause?

TL;DR: Difficulty with rational thinking/ not being clear in the head. Was this way for about a year, then everything returned to normal.

I'd be happy if anyone has any insights. Thanks a lot

Jul 2021
London
That's normal, it could be the covid19. It can last for a few months after the covid19 has cleared from your system too and healing as the neurological effects are noticed after the infection, if you'd like me to adjourn you with a paper, I can :) If it is the cognition that is affected, I mean, emotional stress doesn't normally impact your cognition unless you obviously go through insomnia, and then yes CBT can help in that case.

It makes sense to exercise your brain a lot.

Memory loss is not really related to emotional stress, in fact people who are narcissistic don't normally get stressed emotionally as they lack sensitivity (they are hypersensitive to remarks on their persona, but not to their surroundings) and they suffer from dementia too as memory is not affected by sleep deprivation etc., the only way it could would be in ischaemic dementia as the blood vessels in your brain get thinner and weaker due to lack of sleep, but loss just like that, it is more to do with the covid19. Some people have had asymptomatic covid19, nevertheless the only thing that can demonstrate you are well or not is a neurological assessment and a covid19 test which also must be carried out within I think 6 months in order to prove that you have the antibodies of it, as you still have them afterwards but obviously to a lesser amount.

Last edited:
Jul 2021
Germany
That's normal, it could be the covid19. It can last for a few months after the covid19 has cleared from your system too and healing as the neurological effects are noticed after the infection, if you'd like me to adjourn you with a paper, I can :) If it is the cognition that is affected, I mean, emotional stress doesn't normally impact your cognition unless you obviously go through insomnia, and then yes CBT can help in that case.

It makes sense to exercise your brain a lot.

Memory loss is not really related to emotional stress, in fact people who are narcissistic don't normally get stressed emotionally as they lack sensitivity (they are hypersensitive to remarks on their persona, but not to their surroundings) and they suffer from dementia too as memory is not affected by sleep deprivation etc., the only way it could would be in ischaemic dementia as the blood vessels in your brain get thinner and weaker due to lack of sleep, but loss just like that, it is more to do with the covid19. Some people have had asymptomatic covid19, nevertheless the only thing that can demonstrate you are well or not is a neurological assessment and a covid19 test which also must be carried out within I think 6 months in order to prove that you have the antibodies of it, as you still have them afterwards but obviously to a lesser amount.
Thank you for your reply! I'd actually love to see the paper!

Jul 2021
London
A few of them are available:

etc etc

I think the first one explains if you read it really quick that after the patient survived she had the neurological symptoms.