Some thoughts are believed. Is "believing" done with thought?

Feb 2011
USA
" Think of a image that disturbs you." You just 'activated' your IMAGE REACTOR. ( It works as automatically as a mirror.)
I'm not interested in WHAT/WHICH image you just used; I'm just demonstrating 'your' IMAGE REACTOR. (in action; a 'field test', if you will).
You CAN'T SEE IT, you EXPERIENCE it's EFFECTS. (black box output)

"Is "believing' done with language,thought, images? HOW is 'believing' done ? Is 'believing' a 'mechanism or a process or both?

Dec 2008
nil
Yes and no. The answer really depends on what exactly you mean by "thought". Some beliefs are formed by conscious thought: you consciously weigh the evidence and make a decision on the truth value of the information. If you accept the info as true, a belief is formed. You can also have unconscious beliefs. For example, do you believe that Hitler had nipples? Of course you do, all humans have nipples. You obviously believe this statement even though you may have never consciously entertained the idea of Hitler's nipples.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
[quote author=sakoz link=topic=2215.msg16080#msg16080 date=1312244372]
? ? ?
[/quote]

Is belief a spiritual or material trait? pljames

Feb 2011
USA
Thank you for replying. What do I mean by the word "thought"? The dictionary definition will do; unless otherwise mentioned.
"If you accept the info as true, a belief is formed." The word 'true' is a evaluation (thought) analogous to words like "good" & "bad".
Your statement implies (to me) "believing a belief".
Specific images (Hitlers nipples) are distracting, specific images are implied because there is no 'believing' without content, just as there's no 'running' without legs in motion.
Do thoughts do the believing like legs do the running? 'Running' is a choice, isn't 'believing' also a choice? Not when done automatically, by habit. Choice is relinquished when done by habit.

Is my question of "The HOW of believing"? too abstract? Is it a unanswerable question?

pljames; "Is belief a spiritual or material trait?" Look at the 'content' of any belief. there's Language/thought/image.Do they 'start' out as "formless energy",? manifested into the 'form' of
language,thought,images. e=mc2 implies just that. Is water 'solid'? Only when/while frozen. ( Enigma answered "yes and no"; so here too, yes and no depends what you mean).

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Is thought energy and does it have knowledge/

[size=18pt][/size] I have asked does thoughts have intelligence and it is energy (never received a answer). Why if we can give our thoughts power to help us overcome whatever problem we have then is that energy or intelligence? Thoughts to me come from us by our observation of the world put into our memory banks. Language is also input into our memory banks. See [link removed due to typo] for a might be answer on how the mind makes a sentence from words and let me know. pljamesone@att.net

edit: Please check your spelling on links

Feb 2011
USA
",,,,,does thoughts have intelligence and is it energy." Intelligence is the ability to use thoughts. Anything we USE is a artifact. ( write a thought, a command or order on a piece of paper and watch to see if it's carried out while you watch the command on the paper. No? there's no intelligence in thought per se.) (artifacts require users)( you may not recognize it but you USE thoughts like you use utensils and tools)
Are 'thoughts' made of energy? I direct you to e=mc2. Everthing starts as , or comes from 'energy' and returns, eventually.

What do I look for at [link removed] ?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
What do I look for at [link removed] the way it finds synonyms. To me thats how thoughts work.pljames

[quote author=sakoz link=topic=2215.msg16098#msg16098 date=1312304202]
",,,,,does thoughts have intelligence and is it energy." Intelligence is the ability to use thoughts. Anything we USE is a artifact. ( write a thought, a command or order on a piece of paper and watch to see if it's carried out while you watch the command on the paper. No? there's no intelligence in thought per se.) (artifacts require users)( you may not recognize it but you USE thoughts like utensils & tools)
Are 'thoughts' made of energy? I direct you to e=mc2. Everthing starts as , or comes from 'energy' and returns, eventually.

What do I look for at [link removed] ?
[/quote]

edit: @pljames please check your links for typing errors these links point to an empty domain

Feb 2011
USA
pljames; You had a 'experience/realization'; we can give it a name, a label, etc. I will describe it as a "opening" between the conscious and unconscious mind.
You did not say how long it lasted; 10 minutes, 1 hour, 1 day, etc. or are you still "open"? Can you relate to this? Or do you describe it differently? It's vitually indescribable but we try.
Sri Nisargadatta Marharaj experienced it at age 15 and remained "open" (as I call it here) for the rest of his life.

SWM

May 2008
I am in agreement with enigma's post but want to add that conscious thought is only a shadow of the actual processing which is carried out by the central nervous system. your brain is what processes the information. thought and the conscious awareness of of this processing is a shadow or reflection of the brains functioning. deciscions and beliefs are formed in the brain and consciousness is simply reflecting that processing.