Schizophrenia Vs Delusional Disorder

Sep 2021
Kottayam
Can anyone here provide clear distinctions between schizophrenia and delusional disorder? I have someone with overlapping symptoms and I need some help to understand both conditions clearly.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Delusional Disorder vs. Schizophrenia
The first main difference between delusional disorder and schizophrenia is that delusional disorder does not typically disrupt a person’s daily life, whereas schizophrenia commonly interferes with a person’s life.
According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, schizophrenia interferes with a person’s ability to think clearly, manage their emotions, relate to others, and make decisions. When schizophrenia is not treated it impairs a person’s ability to function to their full potential, and there is no simple treatment that exists to manage schizophrenia.
Another major difference between delusional disorder and schizophrenia is hallucinations. A person with schizophrenia commonly sees and hears hallucinations, whereas a person with delusional disorder does not have any hallucinations.
The third difference between the two disorders is that schizophrenia will significantly affect a person’s behavior, and sometimes their speech, whereas delusional disorder does not.
The fourth difference between the two disorders is the delusions. With schizophrenia, the delusions are bizarre and unbelievable, whereas the delusions with delusional disorder are non-bizarre and can be believable.
The fifth major difference between the two disorders is that schizophrenia is mostly managed through medication, whereas delusional disorder is primarily managed through psychotherapy.
This is copied from Delusional Disorder vs. Schizophrenia (disorders.org)

Reactions: Machine Man
Sep 2021
Kottayam
Delusional Disorder vs. Schizophrenia
The first main difference between delusional disorder and schizophrenia is that delusional disorder does not typically disrupt a person’s daily life, whereas schizophrenia commonly interferes with a person’s life.
According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, schizophrenia interferes with a person’s ability to think clearly, manage their emotions, relate to others, and make decisions. When schizophrenia is not treated it impairs a person’s ability to function to their full potential, and there is no simple treatment that exists to manage schizophrenia.
Another major difference between delusional disorder and schizophrenia is hallucinations. A person with schizophrenia commonly sees and hears hallucinations, whereas a person with delusional disorder does not have any hallucinations.
The third difference between the two disorders is that schizophrenia will significantly affect a person’s behavior, and sometimes their speech, whereas delusional disorder does not.
The fourth difference between the two disorders is the delusions. With schizophrenia, the delusions are bizarre and unbelievable, whereas the delusions with delusional disorder are non-bizarre and can be believable.
The fifth major difference between the two disorders is that schizophrenia is mostly managed through medication, whereas delusional disorder is primarily managed through psychotherapy.
This is copied from Delusional Disorder vs. Schizophrenia (disorders.org)
Thanks for the responding, IveryKeys.

I would like to add more details. 1)Both conditions affect a person's ability to think clearly. 2)A person with delusional disorder can also have hallucinations according to many other sources. 3) How do we define significant effect on behavior and distinguish it from delusional disorder? 4) This is actually a very clear distinction. 5) Both are managed by medicines but yes, delusional disorder needs cognitive therapy. However, the diagnosis key here.

Any comments, anyone.

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Agree with all you said above, and unfortunately there are drugs out there which will exacerbate the problem...

Sep 2021
Kottayam
Agree with all you said above, and unfortunately there are drugs out there which will exacerbate the problem...
Drugs are only a symptom reliever imo and I don't know why most people do not treat the cause and not the symptom. Like you said , drugs can lead a person into more complex disorders but yeah in most cases, they shut down the signals while the cause lies dormant. People end up being robots and who knows what else. It's quite sad.

Jul 2021
London
Can anyone here provide clear distinctions between schizophrenia and delusional disorder? I have someone with overlapping symptoms and I need some help to understand both conditions clearly.
PPD is one way Schizophrenia manifests but Schizophrenia is a set of symptoms, not just one single one, i.e. PPD is very specific to delusions, and that is usually typical of the subspecies Paranoid Schizophrenia, whereas Schizophrenia is more characterised by hallucinations, auditory, or visual, as well, as a set of other signs and symptoms, i.e. detachment from reality and people around you, which are also seen in delusions, but you might not necessarily get the visual or auditory hallucinations etc. My cat had an episode of schizophrenia after his anaesthetic, ketamine, which is a horrific medication, but is the only one used on animals to date, because the ones we take are too dangerous, and that is dangerous too, but unfortunately the only one known to date. I worry a lot for animals as they don't have the drugs we do get and I am a drug designer so for me it is certainly a challenge I want to take on, as I have treated so many human patients, but animals are patients too.