Psych Newbie

Oct 2021
Florida
Hello Psychology forum! My name is Seth and I am a 16 year old who is extremely driven to understand the wonders of our minds. I am not enrolled in any psych classes as of now and have read a psychology introduction text, Dr Perrys “The boy who was raised as a dog”, and Kay Redfield Jamisons “Night falls fast” and am reading Kolks “The body keeps the score now”. I was introduced to psychology by Arthur Schopenhauer in his essay on the subject, I instantly fell in love and have been doing everything I can since July to educate myself on it. If their are any book recommendations, or course recommendations anyone can offer I would greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Usedandabused
Oct 2021
Florida
I have also read Carl Jung’s “modern man in search of a soul” and recently purchased “The Undiscovered Self”. I am doing everything I possibly can to become knowledgeable and familiar with the subject.

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
I know getting into the history and theory of psychology may not seem as exciting as some of the things you are currently reading, but if you have a library you can access, a good introduction might be "Psychology for Dummies". There are other good introductory books available, but for where you are now, something along these lines may be appropriate for you.
Good luck,
Ivery

Oct 2021
Florida
I know getting into the history and theory of psychology may not seem as exciting as some of the things you are currently reading, but if you have a library you can access, a good introduction might be "Psychology for Dummies". There are other good introductory books available, but for where you are now, something along these lines may be appropriate for you.
Good luck,
Ivery
I really appreciate you responding and I forgot to mention it, but I read an introduction to psychology book by the publisher Teach Yourself before reading everything else, do you have any other tips or advice?

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
If you have a library in your community, you might be able to check out some of :"The Great Courses" series. I particularly enjoyed the Daniel N. Robinson courses on both psychology and philosophy (they are related in many ways) I have been out of formal school for nearly forty years now, so am not as up to date as I would like to be, pick one of the sub categories on this forum and look for resources under these headings...
Good luck in your pursuits,
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
Hello Psychology forum! My name is Seth and I am a 16 year old who is extremely driven to understand the wonders of our minds. I am not enrolled in any psych classes as of now and have read a psychology introduction text, Dr Perrys “The boy who was raised as a dog”, and Kay Redfield Jamisons “Night falls fast” and am reading Kolks “The body keeps the score now”. I was introduced to psychology by Arthur Schopenhauer in his essay on the subject, I instantly fell in love and have been doing everything I can since July to educate myself on it. If their are any book recommendations, or course recommendations anyone can offer I would greatly appreciate it!

I liked the interpretation of dreams by Freud when I was 17 and a few other authors. I thought it was funny.