Phobia to birds

Aug 2020
Spain
Hi, I am phobic when it comes to birds, in particular pingeons. I really dislike them. When I am walking down the street and I see one it makes me feel disgust but I just keep going and there is no problem. There is a problem when I sit on a terrace of a bar and there are some in the area, that makes me freak out. I can´´t stand it so I avoid sitting in terraces.

Can it be overcome? Can I end up going to bars and not feeling bad AT ALL while sitting there? Can I overcome it to the point of not caring about them AT ALL? Not disliking the at all?

How can I overcome it?

Mar 2020
US
There's something about them that disgusts you. It's ok to be disgusted by things. You can simply say that something is disgusted and can be avoided. I made the mistake of becoming familiar with everything that disgusted me and now there's really no definition of who I am. Without a definition of disgust there's nothing to move me away from any certain thing. It's ok for you to have disgusts.

If it's really causing a problem, buy a book about owls. Birds are very dirty stupid things. They are related to reptiles. I understand how a feather can be a frightening thing, just by how complex it is. Perhaps you can understand the complexity of what a bird is.

When I was young my mom owned parakeets. They were the most depressing pet. Stuck in a cage. Stupid animals. The only thing good about them was their sound. Sometimes the parakeets got depressed themselves with their worthless lives and pulled out their feathers, revealing their ugly coarse skin.

Perhaps you can learn to love poor stupid vulnerable things that get depressed and ugly with their pathetic lives. If you can value a creature like this life will have more meaning to you.

Finickiness is a good thing. It's good to be finicky enough to brush your teeth twice a day and eat healthy if you can afford it. Finickiness is actually a sign of health. Having likes and dislikes is a kindergarten level necessity.

Often politics and psychology attacks our even possibility of having dislikes. Telling us that we are truly evil for disliking anything. I am very opposed to the oppression of my freedom to dislike things, which helps me move in a direction away from something and towards something else.

Don't feel guilty about disliking birds. But if I causes a problem study a bird anatomy book that is detailed and well written. You can appreciate the writing of the book. You will get a grusome feeling that might anger or arouse you. The more you study it the more insensitive you will be to that stimulation and eventually birds will be another flavor in life.

There may have been something you saw as a child which made birds bother you or you may be disgusted with their random deficating.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Aug 2020
Spain
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

How about exposure therapy? I heard it´s the best way to get over a phobia. Should I try to do it myself? I mean without the help of a therapist (I dont have the money right now). I can do breathing exercises while looking at pictures of pingeons until I dont feel bad about it.

Oh and don´t worry, I don´t think is inmoral to feel disgusted by it.

Things I hate about them:
1. How they move
2. Their little heads
3. Their color (the white ones I find tolerable, it´s the black and grey ones that I dislike. It´s almost like they are sick or dirty? I dont know)
4. Their sound

Mar 2020
US
You might get nauseous or even pass out if you try to give yourself exposure therapy. Eat comforting food whatever comfortable you can afford. You can try to do it yourself, but having the help of someone else will certainly be better. If you can't afford a therapist, try to find a friend, child or relative to talk to you about birds cheerfully. You can mentor a child as a teaching mentor and as payment listen to the child's innocent perspective of birds. (That's not a good idea, I'm just brainstorming. It would only really be appropriate of you had a niece, nephew or offspring.)

If those four things about birds disgust you I'm afraid there's really nothing your going to find good about birds. Lol.

If there was something about a bird that you could appreciate, like their part of the ecosystem, they eat bugs when bugs get too frequent, they build nests and are stereotypical perfect parents. They push the babies out of the nest to teach them how to fly, (the classic throw the baby in deep water approach.) Maybe colorful birds. If you have a favorite color, you can look at pictures of birds in your favorite color, like red Cardinals or blue blue Jay's. If you have a favorite location on earth you can look at what types of birds are there. Here in western washington we have the blue body black headed stellar Jay. In Ecuador they have the macaw. Etc.

You might find something at all appreciatable about a bird, and just think of that when you look at a bird.

If you have a fan, turn on the fan while you read about them. To make sure you don't stop breathing. When I was in highschool I was shown a video on brain surgery and I stopped breathing and collapsed in front of the whole class.

You can definitely appreciate flight about a bird. You can think of the wright brothers imitating the bird soar. You can appreciate nocturnal owls for looking less birdhead like. They look more human than other birds. You can think of the bald eagle or golden eagle as symbols or national championship in America and Europe. You can think of Turkey as the pilgrim forefathers main source of protein. You can think of a tasty drumstick as an American picnic staple. (Do you eat turkey and chicken?) Turkey has a lot of tryptophan which is the precursor to serotonin, which is the chemical that makes everyone happy. You can think of a turkey as being a very happy animal.

Something you might not like about birds and their heads is that they are very stupid and not masculine. You might be offended by a man who resembles a bird. Know that in China every twelve years is Rooster year, where they actually believe the children born that year have personalities that resemble birds.

If dirtiness is the main problem just think about how dirty things are in general. It is not healthy in my opinion to accept dirtiness, but it is a common function of life that things get "dirty" or rather uncontrollably disorganized as I like to put it. You might prefer the simplicity of a tree to the complexity of a bird. You might have a very neat apartment. I don't blame you by being offended by dirt.

Sickliness is something that all birds naturally put out. Birds are sick to human standards. If a human were to be transformed into a bird he would feel excruciatingly sick. Maybe think of sickness as relative. Something that is sick to a Muslim is good to a Christian and viceversa. Think of sickness as a foreign language that needs to be translated.

I'm sure you can get over birds if that is actually what you want to do.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk