Optimal use of brain is possible.

Feb 2011
USA
How solid are thoughts ?

That question is as ludicrous as asking : "How solid is air ?"
The presupposition/premise is that 'thoughts' are composed of molecular particulates.
If that were true, the molecular particulates would function like blood clots in our brain; causing strokes and/or death. 'Thoughts' are ephemeral/nebulous, like rainbows and illusions, perceptible but not touchable.
"Believing" 'seemingly' freezes/solidifies thought (in effect but not in fact).
Why did you stop reacting to 'bogyman'?* Because you recognized it was only a thought, not solid, not real.
Our 'safety/survival' alarm evolved in pre-humans, before thought. Stimulus was in the environment. But with the advent of thought and believing, we now contend with internal stimulus as well. Often we do not recognize; (so as to differentiate); the two source of 'perceptions'. Perceptions from/of environment and perceptions of thoughts.
In order to utilize our hard wiring, we have to convert thoughts into perceptions in order to be "eligible' to be reacted to by existing hard wired abilities. "Believing" is our "converter".

* I met a few people who claim never being afraid of 'bogyman'.
(being afraid of the dark or unknown, is assuming there 'is' something to be afraid of; yes there is, it's your own 'projected thought'.)

Feb 2015
Winnipeg
The mind is a mysterious thing. Being able to control ones actions and emotions with positive or negative thought is remarkable. The possible power the mind has effects the world and changes the outlook of life. Learning to control the subconscious mind could help people all over the world achieve the seemingly impossible. The power of the mind still fascinates me to this day.
For more information regarding how to Unlock the Power of Your Subconscious Mind and how to control the outcome of your life.

Feb 2011
USA
We evolved beyond automaticity but have not jettisoned it

A piece of rope can automatically evoke a thought we react to automatically in turn. *
We adapted to our environment, now we have to adapt to our automatic adapter.
We cannot shed/molt automaticity, so we must co-exist with it.

* We can look at a piece of rope and see the image (snake) evoked by the perception of the piece of rope.

Feb 2011
USA
The mind is a mysterious thing. Being able to control ones actions and emotions with positive or negative thought is remarkable. The possible power the mind has effects the world and changes the outlook of life. Learning to control the subconscious mind could help people all over the world achieve the seemingly impossible. The power of the mind still fascinates me to this day.
For more information regarding how to Unlock the Power of Your Subconscious Mind and how to control the outcome of your life.
I define the subconscious/unconscious as processes/instincts/memories that are 'outside' of awareness. We know such exist unseen, by the effects that do manifest 'in' consciousness.
The question is; is the relationship reciprocal? That is do both effect the other?
Our 'safety/alarm' is always 'on', it never goes 'off-line', it does not sleep; it wakes us up if there's any indication of danger. Example; a mother can sleep through the noise of traffic, but if her baby whimpers, she wakes up to check. (The alarm only goes 'off' when we die; it's like our heart, always on 'duty' till we die.
How do you,know if your 'alarm' is 'on' when it's not sounding a message? No stress, no emotion, etc.? the alarm is in 'calm mode during those periods, when 'all is well'.
spazzy169: you wrote;"....the mind still fascinates me to this day." That implies, to me, that you've been fascinated for some time; during which I'm sure you have much to share. Are you willing to share or you just refer all interested in the subject to go to that site you put up?

Feb 2011
USA
I found this super interesting to read. I also found some really good reads on The Power of the Subconscious Mind - Subconscious Powers I was never really a believer in all this till i took a read at that website and this forum!

Thanks for the good read! :):):):):):)
'Reading' is the first step; the next step is 'application'. Will you utilize it to 'modify' your existing programming/conditioning?
Humans specialize in 'learning and doing' what is learned.
Trains are confined to tracks, but are very useful means of travelling.
Off-road vehicles allow more freedom/options. We can use both.
Bush pilots can take us places to where other modes of travel can't.

Feb 2011
USA
The phone stops ringing when you answer it

We can't stop stress because we are born with a 'mechanism' that produces stress/fear, etc.
But we can reduce stress from being chronic by turning the alarm down when appropriate to do so.
There are many environmental stressors; but we often don't recognize when thoughts are stressing us.

We are not born with the ability to regulate our safety/survival alarm; that comes later when we learn to think and use language; the same as we learned to regulate our sphincters by 'intention'.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
Are beliefs in neuronal circuits?

Notice the unstated premise underlying the question. That if beliefs are 'in' circuits, they must be 'molecular things'. 'Believing' thoughts are 'things', makes them "perceptual stimulants" and reacted to.
Neuroplasticity makes bypassing/detouring circuits with alternative circuits possible.
"Think outside the box", implies creating a new neural circuit that detours/bypasses the prior circuit. (see the nine dot puzzle a well as the following).
Example: I used to believe 'bogyman' (thought-image) was real and so reacted to it as if real. (placebo effect?). Now, even though, bogyman still in tact, another circuit bypasses it.
The new circuit has 'correct' content, based on fact.

Can you think a imageless thought?
Can you make a omelet without eggs?
Can you think a thought without images?
Language was 'invented' in order to refer to images and perceptions, etc.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
When learning language, what else did you learn ?

To react to language/thought. Do you react to Swahili? (only if your learned it).
Can cyberbullies "hurt feelings" if they type in Swahili? "it takes two to tango".
We were conditioned 'to and by' language. (which is necessary).
It behooves us to recognize the "side effects" of using language.
The side effects of medicine is posted as a warning. When it comes to language/thought, your on your own to discover the side effects.
Suicide has been linked to bullying and depression.
Does Google answer the question; "What are the side effects of using language/thoughts?"
What does it take to reassure/repose our amygdala alarm to the state of calm? Being safe from threat and danger. But how do you distance yourself when the trigger is your own thoughts?
'Typhoid Mary' was a carrier of typhoid, but she herself was not affected; can we be carriers of thought and not be 'hurt'?
Bullies 'entertain' the thoughts they convey to 'victims'; how come the bullies are not 'hurt' by them?
Thoughts per se are not like hot potatoes or hot coals you drop in order to not be burned by them.
How can a thought 'hurt'? They don't have quills like a porcupine.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
Placebo/nocebo effects are real,(even though initiated by illusions)

Illusions cannot be eradicated. Our neurology automatically reacts to perceptions. Illusions are perceived.
Recognizing illusions is the way to refrain from reacting to them unintentionally.

Thoughts are not proprioceptive; that might account for us (sometimes) not recognizing them as ours. Therefore they (sometimes) seem 'as if' they are in the environment instead of 'in' us.

"Believing" seems to have the same effect on thoughts as novocaine injection has on flesh.
'Believing' also has the effect of seemingly disowning the thought believed; some call that effect 'projection'.

Last edited: