Optical Illusion Images - What it means

Oct 2012
Greetings

I am interested to know what it means when I see one image in an optical illusion, and someone else sees something else, and another person may see both images.

For example - in this image of a 'old woman / young woman' ... is there meaning to what you see? Is it random?

www moillusions.com/2006/05/young-lady-or-old-hag.html

Any resources that could support this would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 2011
USA
Marissa: old woman/young woman; Necker Cube; rope/snake and many others.
When you meet someone for the first time, and they "remind" you of some one else; where does the image of 'some one else', 'comes to mind' from where? Memory , right?
Our brain 'automatically' compares every perception with it's file of past perceptions; ( like police check licence plates on the road for all cars they stop).
When two different 'images' fit a perception , both "come to mind". As you look at some such optical illusion, keep that in mind, you see one then you see the other; I 'love' the Necker Cube, as I watch the 'shift'. Try the necker Cube if you have not seen it yet.
Look at the 'Nine Dot puzzle', the same 'rule' applies. your brain finds a image to fit the dots from memory; it's a 'square'. You 'see' the square overlay the eight outer dots. But by not recognizing the 'square; is only in your head and not actually part of the dots, you can't solve the puzzle as directed. This alone can be a very valuable lesson. By not distinguishing images from memory and perceptions of environment, that causes emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress, etc. Money is spent on therapy simply to find out one does not recognize images from memory and perceptions of environment.

Marissa; consider your 'ego' analogous to a 'optical illusion'. Far fetched notion? Look again; "...your 'ego'..." "Your" implies ownership. Are 'you' what you own?
Are 'you' the thoughts you construct? Are 'you' who you 'think' you are?
"Toto, were not in Kansas anymore."

Another example of using schemata/images to overlay perceptions; Two people can look at the same eight oz. glass with four oz. liquid in it, one says 'the glass is half full', the other says, 'the glass is half empty'. Same fact, different perceptions.