one question multi answers still unknown

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
:([size=14pt][/size]I love to ask questions about things I do not understand. The mind is one of them. The mind is invisible yet the brain can be seen. I finally got to where I would have to take from the multitude of answers my thoughts on what the mind is. It is a large memory bank with intelligence for retrieval of information. It is hard and futile to try to explain the spiritual side of man. pl

Mar 2010
PA, USA
[quote author=pljames link=topic=2789.msg20278#msg20278 date=1338299299]
It is hard and futile to try to explain the spiritual side of man. pl[/quote]
I will venture to say that what people call "spiritual" (myself included at times) is no different than anything else we do with our minds, ie. thinking, conversation with others, remembering, etc.. "Spiritual" states are not supernatural at all. It's just that these things are so far removed from our day to day uses of the mind that one attaches special significance to them. It is much like an intense entheogenic experience which seems so much more meaningful than ordinary experience. From a neuroscientific point of view there is nothing extraordinary occurring at all, save for a few areas of the brain acting a little more hyper than normal (is that right Enigma?[I know it's glib]).

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
Spiritual thinking or praying, meditation etc. does spawn an increase in certain chemicals in the brain, but so does other things. I agree they in of themselves are not supernatural. It is just another way of using our minds and devoting our time. Some studies have shown that people who classify themselves as "spiritual" live longer. If this is true? It could be for a number of reasons. More awareness of the body? Different dietary changes? Abstence from certain harmful activites? Lower blood pressure? Who knows?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
S.Earl Martin,
You mentioned something about being energy. Is there a (spiritual energy)? Say the neurons are matter converted to energy (or vice versa)? How do the neurons firing know where to go? Which leads me (to believe) energy might have some intelligence even (spiritual) or another form? I have been reading The seat of the soul and some of it (makes sense to me).Help pljames

SWM

May 2008
[quote author=S. Earl Martin link=topic=2789.msg21252#msg21252 date=1344605229]
Wow that is an excellent discription of how energy works. I may have to use it in the future? Thanks SWM
[/quote]it is also helpful in understanding emotion. there are two types of emotion those that are attraction and those that are repulsion.

SWM

May 2008
some people have said there are only two emotions, love and fear, others have said love and hate.

i would say there is only attraction and repulsion and these work in tandem with the positive and negative charges.

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
i would say there is only attraction and repulsion and these work in tandem with the positive and negative charges.

I would agree. Just like motivational factors and demotivational factors. Somethings stimulate action. Others suppress action. Everything is really controlled by energy impulses. Action reaction. Cause and effect. For an action to take place energy must be applied. An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by another force. Peace

SWM

May 2008
yes when we think about motivation something has to act as the attraction. the magnetic emotive force. this results in a postive charge within the body.

a wind turbine generates a positive electric charge by passing magnets repeatedly over a copper coil. our mortal coil has more potentiality the copper. we can generate out own currents. as above so below.