[NSFW] Psychology of a cuckold

I

ILADHD

I debated if I should post this under relationships or here in personality. I decided here since that is the root of my question. I searched the topic 1st with no results.

I have searched the internet for this, but can't really find much on the Psychology behind this.

Can anyone describe (and point to additional resources) of the psychology of a man that is a cuckold. (Likes spouse/girlfriend to have sex with other men)

I understand it's a submissive personality, but what kinds of things form this personality?

I am asking the question in regards to myself. I do have ADHD. My mom is great, no issues with how she raised me.

I understand a lot of things about myself, but really can't figure out the root of this.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate replies.

Aug 2009
Re: Psychology of a cuckold

[quote author=ILADHD link=topic=859.msg3826#msg3826 date=1243887983]
I debated if I should post this under relationships or here in personality. I decided here since that is the root of my question. I searched the topic 1st with no results.

I have searched the internet for this, but can't really find much on the Psychology behind this.

Can anyone describe (and point to additional resources) of the psychology of a man that is a cuckold. (Likes spouse/girlfriend to have sex with other men)

I understand it's a submissive personality, but what kinds of things form this personality?

I am asking the question in regards to myself. I do have ADHD. My mom is great, no issues with how she raised me.

I understand a lot of things about myself, but really can't figure out the root of this.

[/quote]

Aug 2009

I wish I knew, I am trying to figure out the same thing. I very much like my mom, my dad was a good guy but kinda distant. I am not a push over with my wife on anything in our relationship but am very much a pleaser and I do look for her to make the first moves sexually in our relationship.

This is my second marriage and it was a deal breaker with me if she did not want to sleep with other men before and after we got married, something she found hard to believe at first but thankfully and happily is my friend and we have shared together.

Now I would like to figure out the root of it, not so much to get rid of it as I have not only made peace with it, but embraced it as part of myself, but so that it doesn't control or get in the way of my relationship with my wife.

Nov 2009

ok. here is the deal. i have thought about this for a long time. I cannot figure out why i am so turned on by my wife having sex with another person. After going to counseling I have unfolded an event in my life at the age of 4 or 5. basically my sister who was 14 or 15 at the time I was born attached to me as a kid mother. The story goes that I went everywhere with her starting at an early age. Had a real emotional bonding take place. she was normal and my family was all really healthy too. She gets married at the age of 18 or 19. After the wedding she and her groom slipped out of the church's back door. I was waiting at the front with rice in hand. Here is the trauma. The feeling of not being able to compete with the groom was so overwhelming that i was shamed and humiliated.
It seemes like i turned the pain in to pleasure.
All through highschool dating I was obsessed with "losing my girl" I was and have been extremely Jealous.... until I discovered that I could turn the pain into an orgasm.
If I try to put the thoughts of my wife having sex with somebody else away.... i instantly become Jealous.

Does anybody else have a trauma event that produced the feelings I have described and struggles with desires to be a cuckold? I am making progress but need help.

Jan 2010

[quote author=ILADHD link=topic=859.msg3826#msg3826 date=1243887983]

[/quote]

I am also desperately seeking to understand this. Interestingly I seem to have some things in common with you; I have ADD, and have been raised by a single mother. I'll also make a point of stating that my mother does not fit to the stereotype of the single mother and has strived to raise me well. Despite all the thought I given this question and the various things I've read, I have not found information as relevant to the understanding the question as the thoughts displayed in the few posts here.

Instead of attributing the fact that we have the same 'fantasy' to our ADHD/ADD, I think it's more likely that the shared character traits and inquisitive natures often displayed in ADHD/ADD sufferers leads us to both seek the answer to this question. I found it quite interesting that you said "I understand a lot of things about myself, but really can't figure out the root of this" because It sounds as if we are similar. I give things a lot of thought and seek to reach solid understandings over many things concerning my personality, but particularly to validate things like relationships and friendships.

I am a cynical and untrusting, but very trustworthy person. I’ll describe elements of my nature throughout this to in order to help those others in search of the answer , because it’s through only through understanding the similarities between us wannabe cuckolds that we can begin to understand the psychology behind it. In a similar sense it also useful to note what differences there are amongst us in order to define what characteristics can be regarded as unrelated to the ‘fantasy’ of wanting to be a cuckold. For you only have to briefly surf the net to see that this is not an uncommon obsession.

Just to keep things accurate and allow for productive responses I’ll clarify before anyone else does the fact that having these urges is not what makes someone a cuckold. The term ‘cuckold’ is originally used to describe someone whose spouse’s infidelity is displayed without consent. It was a derogatory term (with a very interesting history that I won’t delve into) used to describe whichever unfortunate person whose wife had been nailed. So it’s apparent that the expression has merely been adopted by the significant numbers who yearn for their other half to enjoy someone else - or is it for them to be enjoyed by someone else? Or both? Or is it out of degradation of oneself? It is difficult to describe the exact ideology of the modern ‘cuckold’ because it is practiced on so many different levels – from those who insist on being there and there being no kissing – to those who go to the extreme stage of putting their wives up for ‘breeding’.

In the earlier days of my relationship the mere thought of someone else having my girlfriend turned my stomach. There was nothing exciting about it in the least. So that leads me to believe that it is something that develops through time and the level at which you go to is entirely dependent on how much restraint you exercise. You describe the personality of a cuckold as being a submissive personality. I don’t think that it’s necessarily down to having a submissive personality – but most definitely submission is in the end product.

Apart from one night stands and meaningless short relationships with quite a few girls, my relationship with my girlfriend is my first and only ‘proper’ relationship. We say we have been together for 5 years, but there was a year spent apart when I went away to university and couldn’t bring myself to trust her. PERHAPS relevant, is the one occasion where my girlfriend did betray me. We were both very young and while on holiday she kissed another guy. She didn’t love me back then as I’m certain she does now – but I certainly loved her, and as pathetic as it may sounds – it tore me apart. She was honest about it (not to the degree I wanted, and it did take a few days to get the full picture) though and was determined to remain with me. We stayed together, her feelings for me increased dramatically but I remained extremely untrusting. I’d hate to be classed as insecure, or to be accused of being controlling over her, but it was the case that I hated her going out with her friends, or doing anything that could allow for flirting etc.

Out of decency I refrained from making any demands, but it was clear that I didn’t trust her at all and thus the relationship had to end when I went to uni. The thought of her being with someone else was utterly awful... but it was the idea of being betrayed that scared me most. What wasn’t mine to worry about - was less to worry about and a long distance relationship would have turned me into an insecure wreck. It was easier to block it out of my mind and I got on with uni life, which involved a fair bit of sex for me.

It was only after we got back together (and we have now been for nearly 3 years) that I became conscious of these strange urges. I can clarify that I’m in no way bi-sexual like some wannabe cuckolds are – which probably helps in ascertaining the basic psychology of the cuckold (without the existence other urges which inevitably add complication).

So can any of the above be connected to the development of my cuckold urges?

- Well while I had quite a lot of sexual experiences during the break up she did very little, she had still slept with no one else and had only kissed a couple of guys. Perhaps her lack of experience and my fears that she’d probably want more?

- My increased knowledge of the female of the species and the realisation that very few can really be properly trusted (i’m VERY untrusting)?

- My absolute love for her and fear of losing her?

Well I know as much as to assert that the urges of the cuckold hold a strange correlation with the darkest fears of the cuckold - Initially anyway. I think this must be the case for everyone in some way? Again, it is the extent to which a man allows these urges into his life which controls how far he is to go with it. This all involves the level of explanation to the other half of the fantasies and the respective perception of these fantasies by the other half. The fear of how the other half may react, or interpret your sexuality also goes a long way into deciding the level at which you engage it.

Commonly accepted by the cuckold is the status as inferior, or less manly than the one who she will be having sex with. This is often also related to the confidence of the man, the size of his manhood and his virility.

Now, while I’m not a confident and outgoing person, I am sure of myself. I may be not be proficient in attracting girls in the conventional ways e.g. by approaching them on the dance floor, but I seemed to have good luck when I was single and enough girls came to me. Similarly, I only gained confidence through sex, having a pretty large member. I got back together with my girlfriend because I loved her, couldn’t resist her and valued the relationship more than cheap sex.

So why did the urges come along after all that? I don’t want to view myself as submissive – i’m very hesitant to and don’t really like the label. I’m the kind of guy that stands up for himself regardless of how big the other guy is, or indeed how many of them there are. In the same sense, when I first liked the idea of my girl doing another guy, I hoped for him to have a smaller penis than mine, as not to pleasure my girlfriend so much she doesn’t want me anymore! But now, as i’ve carried on along the road of cuckold fantasy I realise that indeed it would be a bigger turn on if he was better endowed than me and gave her more pleasure...

So...

Is it the case that by allowing the fantasy to persist and develop I’m getting into the more ‘hardcore’ ideology? Am I letting the barriers down and allowing for desires to get increasingly extreme? What once would have upset me – the idea of her being pleasured more by someone else – become accepted and turned into fantasy? And is my view of myself of the tenacious kinda guy that ‘stand sup to...’ just an example of short man syndrome? Perhaps so. With the calming of our sex life through time, have my fears been turned into fantasy? And why...

“Female Infidelity and Paternal Uncertainty: Evolutionary Perspectives on Male Anti-Cuckoldry Tactics by Steven M. Platek and Todd K. Shackelford, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2006”

Is more concerned with ‘fear’ than the ‘fantasy’ and on face value has seemingly little to offer to this question. However, I read the following book review:

“Evolutionary Psychology, A Review of Steven M. Platek and Todd K. Shackelford “Female Infidelity and Paternal Uncertainty: Evolutionary Perspectives on Male Anti-Cuckoldry Tactics” www.epjournal.net – 2007. 5(2): 358-362, The View From The Cuckold, Kelly D. Suschinsky and Martin L. Lalurnierne, Department of Psychology, University of Lethbridge, Canada”

It initially put things into perspective for me in the simple way it analyses humans from an evolutionary, and hence primitive perspective. I often remind myself that people in the past regarded themselves with as much virtue as we do in our age. We are just a little farther along the evolutionary timescale, yet in our modern world we perceive ourselves as so different from our ancestors. We have the very same emotions, we just exercise them in accordance with the ways of our society (which inevitably will be regarded as primitive one day too). Sorry if I’m seeming to go off at a tangent...but it’s so true... and key to understanding many things about ourselves

Anyway, the review focuses on mating strategy... it’s a very interesting review and I suggest you read it for yourselves. I won’t go into it in any more detail, but the main relevance to this question the following exert:

“An interesting implication of the notion of male intra-vaginal competition is that male sexual arousal need not always be tightly connected to male sexual preferences. In general, men physiologically respond to sexual situations that match their sexual interests (something that is not quite true in women). But intra-vaginal battles demand men to become aroused to situations that are actually unpleasant for them, for instance the suspicion of their partner’s infidelity” – p3

Again we arrive at the issue trust. Or at least the question of whether you can guarantee in your mind, the faith of your partner...

I have a lot more to say, and I know this isn’t structured well... but I’m going to have to cut it short. I’m amazed I’ve managed to concentrate for so long as it is. But my power of expression is fading and no more rits tonight. No time for a conclusion tonight, but I must beg the question of whether we should just fight any such urges? Because as enjoyable as it may be for both – you ARE doing it for different reasons... and while the faithful love of your spouse may persist... you’re still gonna let some other guy fuck her... i mean wtf? Arghhh.... anyone feel free to polish off a conclusion for me, i’m spent. If the discussion continues I most definitely have more to say. I'd like to adress carlforu2's point too and discuss the timeline/expression of the urges. Also i'd like to take the advice of any older people who read this, because i know at the age of 22 its remarkably early - but i have time to save myself right, and nothings gone wrong as yet, gnight

Jan 2010

As, I think with most things in life, who we are is dependant on what we get out of being who we are. Basic behavioural psychology. Calforu2, you have turned what was a pain round into a pleasure and now get that from being a cuckold so what need have you to be anything else? Until, possibly 50 years or so ago, the idea of a man’s wife having sex with anyone else with the knowledge of her husband was probably unheard of except, perhaps in the more lurid areas of Europe. In the UK it was certainly not the done thing. Now over the last 10 years I have spent a lot of time mixing with those whose tastes are definitely of the fetishistic variety. I was amazed at the number and variety of men who would submit to all sorts of weird practices. Some quite tame and some very extreme indeed. As far as I could tell there was no norm amongst them. They were all, as far as I could tell, intelligent, educated people. The majority of whom had good jobs. If you saw them on the street you would think they lived a fairly average middle class life and the most exciting they got up to was the family accounts on a Thursday night. But come Friday night there is almost a metamorphic change. They put on a dress or fetish wear of some description and become their alter ego. To go back to your original question ILADHD of describing the psychology of a man that is cuckold I think the range would be quite broad. There are those who are indeed very submissive and enjoy the shame of being replaced and humiliated by their wife’s lovers. What about those who are involved as swingers? If you want to know more about this sort of thing might I recommend you to a journal called “Forum”. It is an English publication that is published in 6 countries and is, I think, primarily a sex magazine but it does look very closely at such things as this.

edit: Link removed no links to adult sites please

Sep 2009

Fear of intimacy & fear of engulfment. People do all sorts of things to create distance from making contact on a truly intimate nature. I think this is one method.

Aug 2009
Australia

Zephyr,

"Fear of intimacy" was what Eric Berne always said was the root cause of much of abnormal behavior.

Don't think much has changed really.

Odd the very thing that might bring us peace and contentment is feared by the majority of us?

Horton.

Sep 2009

Fear of intimacy comes from the general thinking condition that vulnerability is dangerous and equals weakness. Attach the reality of fear and all kinds of stupid things happen. This would be a patriarchal theme and by and large males suffer from this fear more than females. The whole of the macho man and the super man no less a male god which resides on the exterior are manifestations of fear.

I do believe it is counter productive to the health of entire human race .

Z

Aug 2009
Australia

Zepher08,

interesting .
Some times i am incredulous at the extent to which males will go in being macho and the denial of feelings. To the extent that they will risk their health and life.

It is like the whole world of feelings , poetic feeling and introspection are just felt by a few men who write books?
So great is the denial of feeling it gets in the way of their lives.
Pathetic little rituals of older men in how they arrange the tools or chainsaws on the back of their ute are copied by young men as a bad to show the world that they are a man.

Vulnerability is such a human emotion in reality.

Horton