neuro electronic thoughts.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
The only thing I understand about neuroscience is (I do not understand it). I am sure tho it plays a major part in the mind. pl

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Excellent post. It seems when I ask questions I sometimes get answers. It's like it was always there but one had to ask the question. I love words, now you have given me the answer I have been looking for like ask a question analyse it and get a answer. Great response. Thanks. pljames

[quote author=gone link=topic=2041.msg14972#msg14972 date=1306666898]
It appears you don't understand something. When most people don't understand something they will attribute it to god. Therefore language would be a god given gift. (no other explanation required)

Sadly, but as you are trying to understand and explore it further & rationally there is much complexity to what you ask, which includes, evolution, history, biology, neurology, psychology etc...

We have developed language which enables us to communicate & to express ourselves. This is the part what answers your question the best.
For example you want to communicate you want to understand something, so you ask the question above. In order to gain you have to arrange words - (the motivation for this action is you requiring an answer, therefore weather you're aware of it or not, this is the process that is happening) - you want something and you do what you can to get it, if you can speak, this is the easier route. People without speach may bang and point or draw. Speaking or writing language is an automatic process like driving or walking, we don't think we need to put one foot in front of the other to walk, we just do it, like with words, they too get us from one place to another.
[/quote]

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
SWM,
I am reeling for learning the brain interpretes what it see's and transfers that picture into ones mind as reality. Yet that reality is unformed matter. Does the brain see the unformed matter and translate it into formed matter or reality as we see it? I wish I never got into this illusion discussion. This truth has rattled me. pljames

[quote author=SWM link=topic=2041.msg18866#msg18866 date=1329637060]
i converted chapter 1 to plain text.

contents:

CHAPTER
1How the Brain
Gives Rise to the
Mind
1. A Brief History: How We Got Here
1.1. In the Beginning: The Contents of
Consciousness
1.2. Psychology in the World
1.3. Behaviorism: Reaction against the
Unobservable
1.4. The Cognitive Revolution
2. Understanding the Mind: The Form of
Theories of Cognition
2.1. Mind and Brain
2.2. Mental Representation
2.3. Mental Processing
2.4. Why the Brain?
DEBATE: What Is the Nature of Visual Mental
Imagery?
3. The Cognitive Brain
3.1. Neurons: The Building Blocks of the
Brain
3.2. Structure of the Nervous System
3.2.1. The Peripheral Nervous System
3.2.2. The Cerebral Cortex
3.2.3. Subcortical Areas
4. Studying Cognition
4.1. Converging Evidence for Dissociations
and Associations
4.2. Behavioral Methods
4.3. Correlational Neural Methods: The
Importance of Localization
4.4. Causal Neural Methods
4.5. Modeling
4.6. Neural-Network Models
5. Overview of the Book
Revisit and Reflect

view the attachment to read the rest oof the chapter.
[/quote]

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
The brain intreprets the basic stimuly into something it recognizes. That is how optical illusions work. We see a pattern and it looks like a face or a bird so our brain thinks it is that. The brain merges all the senses into a pattern of what it is forming a mental or visual picture of. It comes back to sakoz's example of the hose and the snake.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
The brain interprets what it sees (by memory)? Does the brain know it's looking at formed matter (memory again) or unformed matter and then make a decision as to what we should see or not? pl

[quote author=S. Earl Martin link=topic=2041.msg20921#msg20921 date=1343136167]
The brain intreprets the basic stimuly into something it recognizes. That is how optical illusions work. We see a pattern and it looks like a face or a bird so our brain thinks it is that. The brain merges all the senses into a pattern of what it is forming a mental or visual picture of. It comes back to sakoz's example of the hose and the snake.
[/quote]

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
A lot of that depends on your expectation. If we expected to see a snake? The hose is more likely to appear as a snake. If we expect to see a face etc. If people are looking for patterns? They are more likely to find or see them. It is devotion of percentage of concentration.

Mar 2010
PA, USA
The brain intreprets the basic stimuly into something it recognizes. That is how optical illusions work. We see a pattern and it looks like a face or a bird so our brain thinks it is that. The brain merges all the senses into a pattern of what it is forming a mental or visual picture of. It comes back to sakoz's example of the hose and the snake. [/quote]
Good post man.

SWM

May 2008
[quote author=pljames link=topic=2041.msg20923#msg20923 date=1343136459]
The brain interprets what it sees (by memory)? Does the brain know it's looking at formed matter (memory again) or unformed matter and then make a decision as to what we should see or not? pl

[/quote]
[/quote]

i am wondering if you are asking "does the brain know it is making an interpretation of external reality?". this would depend on the individual, if the individual has recognised the brain does this then their brain would be more vigilant of the process and more likely to identify the interpreting. sakoz has taken this a step further and is vigilantly watching for other peoples intepretations.