Need help from serious job burnout.

Jan 2022
Florida
I am a newbie here and this is all new to me so please excuse me . I am experiencing job burnout. I started my job at 15 years old I am know 60 and the owner for the last 30 years. Everything is going great, we have a very strong customer base, no money issues other than typical small business stuff, I prefer to work 6 more years if my health holds up which is good now. About 6 months ago I just started loosing desire to work play golf or anything fun that I have enjoyed for so long. I really do not know where to start. I literally am dragging myself up and dread get going to work which I know is not normal especially for me. I worked 50 to 60 hours weekly for years but that has come to a halt.I am working 15 to 20 hours a week at this point and feel guilty for not working.. I do enjoy my grandchildren and dogs but work has just wore me down. I really love my job, to be honest most all my goals were met. I have been trying for 6 months to get that fire back to no avail. What in the world should I do, what kind of professional should I see. Thanks in advance for any help and answers that will start to get me back on track. Sincerely, MacDavid

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
From the Mayo Clinic:
Handling job burnout

Try to take action. To get started:

• Evaluate your options. Discuss specific concerns with your supervisor. Maybe you can work together to change expectations or reach compromises or solutions. Try to set goals for what must get done and what can wait.
  • Seek support. Whether you reach out to co-workers, friends or loved ones, support and collaboration might help you cope. If you have access to an employee assistance program, take advantage of relevant services.
  • Try a relaxing activity. Explore programs that can help with stress such as yoga, meditation or tai chi.
  • Get some exercise. Regular physical activity can help you to better deal with stress. It can also take your mind off work.
  • Get some sleep. Sleep restores well-being and helps protect your health.
  • Mindfulness. Mindfulness is the act of focusing on your breath flow and being intensely aware of what you're sensing and feeling at every moment, without interpretation or judgment. In a job setting, this practice involves facing situations with openness and patience, and without judgment.

Keep an open mind as you consider the options. Try not to let a demanding or unrewarding job undermine your health.

My question for you is, what would you like to be doing? Nothing means death, so you have to choose something! Take up a new hobby, learn to play the guitar with the grandkids, learn to paint with the grandkids, start a model railroad, volunteer at a charity, anything to get you back into action.
Keep us posted, and good luck,
Ivery

Reactions: Usedandabused