My ex and his mental health issues

Sep 2012
Hi, I hope someone can shed some light on this situation. My ex boyfriend and I split up a year ago. While we were together (it was a long distance relationship) I was convinced that he had mental health problems, specifically a personality disorder. He was verbally abusive, a liar, manipulative, and depressed. He would cheat on me and try to tell me about it in detail and he would often tell me he was gay (even though he only had sex with women) and that no women were ever good enough for him. At times it seemed that he had no conscience at all, he would hurt me or his friends and not care or even seem to notice. Well, when we finally broke up it was because he already had another girlfriend (at that time we were living close together). They are still together but he recently contacted me and more or less said that all of the issues he had when we were together had gone away. Now I feel really guilty, maybe I deserved the way he treated me or caused it in someway. Is it possible that it was all my fault or is he hiding what's really going on? He says he wants to be friends, which I don't mind but now he is treating me quite coldly. Maybe he has a grudge against me, but for what?

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
California
I think you tell you ex to make a contact with some good mental health therapist because last year my wife also deal with these kinds of issue then I take her to mental health consultant California. With the help and proper guide of the therapist by wife will be able to overcome their mental health issue. Now we both are good and living our life happily together.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Oct 2021
Maryland
Genuinely only time can say whether you can believe him or not. I would suggest you first check with him if his mental illness is a real problem or not. There are chances he might need someone to help him get through such a situation/ illness.

In case if mental illness is not genuine and then I think you should give him some time off and see what he is up to.

Visting a therapy center such as Pysch Associates of Maryland can also help in such situations.