Link between personality and political values?

Oct 2010
I'm running another anonymous survey. This one's two pages on politics, religion, economics, and society. Your answers would be much appreciated!

Politics & Personality

Obviously the main goal (though not the only goal) of this survey is to see whether personality and political values are linked. Would anyone care to speculate on how they might be linked before the results are in?

Sep 2010
OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE is with personality trait that politicians use to guestimate demograph voting. This is well known is politics and psychology.

Those high on this scale are likely to be more accepting of difference appreciate the arts and gravitate towards creative areas like New York, London and vote liberal. Those low on this scale or Closed to Experience like routine, are non to accepting of difference, likely to live in the deep south and are more conservative in their voting.

Here's a video that elaborates.. http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

Oct 2010
That is generally reported, yes.

What other personality traits distinguish between people of different political orientations? And more importantly, what about political orientations other than just left and right? For instance, why do some people become Libertarians while others become more conventional conservatives, moderates, or liberals?

Sep 2010
Most on the Openness to Experience are around the middle with just few on each extreme. Those in the middle are floaters, these are the people that are influenced. So political campaigns targets these with material that will persuade them to vote for them.
During pre-election I see vox pox of people saying "I want to know what they can do for me" nobody is interested in the country and what benefits the country, they are all interested in if they will get taxed more or recieve more money from pensions say. A good one is to target the elderly by saying they will increase pensions by 2% so they get the pensioners vote.. It's that simple. People are stupid and selfish and can be manipulated that easily.
In recent times it has become about 'Persona' and charisma and what they wear rather than the manifesto, though.
At the end of the day it's people and corporations who manipulate the voters via media. So Cameron was put their by Rupert Murdoch, Obama was put their by the big corporations.. They are front of house puppets for the Establishment that really call the shots. Don't you think if they were that oppositional there would be a real difference in running a country with a different political party? There isn't because it doesn't matter who you vote for, it's the same people who make the rules regardless..

Deception of Democracy = 2 or more political parties hold each other up. When one is failing people turn to the other.
If there was only one part, one leader the people would overthrow them and elect their own leader.. But having 2 or more the people don't do this, but ping pong from one to another (which is run by the same sources anyway) so this is the deception of democracy.. IT IS NOT A DEMOCRACY AT ALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw&feature=related

Oct 2010
So are Libertarians psychologically equivalent to moderates? Their demographics are quite different.

Dec 2010
An interesting study might be examine possible correlations between the parenting style an individual experienced in childhood, and subsequent political values in adulthood. Admittedly, this might be difficult due to the extended time period required, although a parental questionnaire might provide sufficent data for a determination of parenting style.

Another study which appears warranted would analyze adult political values in terms of subjects' birth order.

Does anyone know of any research along these lines?

Oct 2010
[quote author=irrational voter link=topic=1705.msg12362#msg12362 date=1291911080]
An interesting study might be examine possible correlations between the parenting style an individual experienced in childhood, and subsequent political values in adulthood. Admittedly, this might be difficult due to the extended time period required, although a parental questionnaire might provide sufficent data for a determination of parenting style.
[/quote]
Yes. Unfortunately,

A) Only conservatism/radicalism was ever investigated, leaving out other political dimensions, and

B) Little effort is ever made to control for the effects of genes - political values are roughly 50% heritable, and the fact that people using X parenting styles raise children who turn out to be X could merely be a result of genetic assortment.

That stated, numerous studies on spanking find that spanked children become conservative later in life, that liberals have more permissive childrearing styles, and that political values correlate around r = .3 between parents and children. If you like I can cite specific studies, but again, I wouldn't be surprised to find that genes explained all the relationships observed; it's the consistent finding of psychology that the common environment has a small or negligible effect on measurable traits.

Dec 2008
nil
I took the survey; you should take a class or look up some info on writing reliable, valid psychological tests. The questions in the first part of the first section are asking whether you identify with two similar but separate traits. When I respond, you don't know which one I'm responding to. A good psychological test question asks one question and receives one answer. Also, some of the questions in the second section seem a little loaded and could be written more objectively. I'd give you some specific examples but I can't view the test since I already completed it.

Jun 2009
[quote author=Outsider link=topic=1705.msg12610#msg12610 date=1293232952]Yes. Unfortunately,

A) Only conservatism/radicalism was ever investigated, leaving out other political dimensions, and

B) Little effort is ever made to control for the effects of genes - political values are roughly 50% heritable, and the fact that people using X parenting styles raise children who turn out to be X could merely be a result of genetic assortment.

That stated, numerous studies on spanking find that spanked children become conservative later in life, that liberals have more permissive childrearing styles, and that political values correlate around r = .3 between parents and children. If you like I can cite specific studies, but again, I wouldn't be surprised to find that genes explained all the relationships observed; it's the consistent finding of psychology that the common environment has a small or negligible effect on measurable traits.

[/quote]

I would certainly like at least one study cited on that last claim there about common environments, as well as the claim that political values are half attributable to genetic factors. While I don't doubt there is a genetic link, half seems more than just a little excessive. It is an interesting subject, though.

Oct 2010
[quote author=Enigma link=topic=1705.msg12613#msg12613 date=1293254754]
I took the survey; you should take a class or look up some info on writing reliable, valid psychological tests. The questions in the first part of the first section are asking whether you identify with two similar but separate traits. When I respond, you don't know which one I'm responding to. A good psychological test question asks one question and receives one answer. Also, some of the questions in the second section seem a little loaded and could be written more objectively. I'd give you some specific examples but I can't view the test since I already completed it.
[/quote]
A word of advice - don't assume that you know more about something than another person does. For examples of published personality tests which combine adjectives together as this one does, see the TIPI, which has been used in numerous studies. As for the questions on the last half of the test, they were the classical questions used by researchers to measure SDO and RWA. But thanks for participating, and for your feedback!

voodoo scientist said:
I would certainly like at least one study cited on that last claim there about common environments, as well as the claim that political values are half attributable to genetic factors. While I don't doubt there is a genetic link, half seems more than just a little excessive.
Really? Well, you could try researching the topic and finding out what psychologists have discovered on the subject. Or you can always just ignore that and believe whatever you like.