Is this the typical time for PTSD to set in? (Professional responses only)

Jun 2020
Greece
Hello, all of you out there who are professionals.

I have a very traumatic past. My life was one crisis to the next, back to back. Recently, perhaps for the first time ever, I have a break...if not for the first time in several years (maybe there is some break I just don't remember). Now that everything is calm, more peaceful, and I can take a breath and get my life on track...I'm all of a sudden having nonstop nightmares, and C-PTSD-like reactions to things I've never been triggered into flashbacks, etc. with before.

Is this the usual time for PTSD/C-PTSD to set in? AFTER everything finally calms? I'm almost afraid of things being peaceful in my life, if this is what happens...all I really know is fighting my way through one traumatic event after another, as it is...

I've never thought I needed treatment for some things, and all of a sudden, that's changing...and one thing after another is beginning to haunt/trigger me when it never has before...it's like this floodgate of trauma has openened. I just slept for nearly 24 hours and had back to back nightmares, woke up drenched in sweat, etc. after having a PTSD reaction in which I was disconnected from my environment and felt as though I was once more present in some past events that I've never had flashbacks like that with before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
Hello, all of you out there who are professionals.

I have a very traumatic past. My life was one crisis to the next, back to back. Recently, perhaps for the first time ever, I have a break...if not for the first time in several years (maybe there is some break I just don't remember). Now that everything is calm, more peaceful, and I can take a breath and get my life on track...I'm all of a sudden having nonstop nightmares, and C-PTSD-like reactions to things I've never been triggered into flashbacks, etc. with before.

Is this the usual time for PTSD/C-PTSD to set in? AFTER everything finally calms? I'm almost afraid of things being peaceful in my life, if this is what happens...all I really know is fighting my way through one traumatic event after another, as it is...

I've never thought I needed treatment for some things, and all of a sudden, that's changing...and one thing after another is beginning to haunt/trigger me when it never has before...it's like this floodgate of trauma has openened. I just slept for nearly 24 hours and had back to back nightmares, woke up drenched in sweat, etc. after having a PTSD reaction in which I was disconnected from my environment and felt as though I was once more present in some past events that I've never had flashbacks like that with before.
True, this is part of the healing process and is meant to happen, Idk about the sweating and the narcolepsy, those are best to be talked to with a doctor, as it's not a psychiatric-psychological symptom, but somatic, but it's great that happened just before the new year as "new year new life" as the saying goes. At least you released a big burden. As long as you don't think there's anything wrong with you because of what you feel. Some infections can also trigger past trauma, in fact COVID has been known to do that too.

Reactions: Phoenix
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Yes, your symptoms are pretty typical. When you have a near fatal accident you do not react until later, maybe a day or even a month. When you are actually in the crisis situation you do not have time for anxiety and depression. Only afterward do the events begin to take their toll. That is why it is called Post Traumatic. It occurs after the trauma. Exercies releases good hormones, find a hobby, talk to friends, family, clergy, counselors, find outlets to relieve your subconscious of these burdens. If you want to try the self help route look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy it has had good success in these areas.
Good luck,
Ivery