Is this depression/anxiety?

Dec 2009
I have been noticing lately that I might be slightly depressed and have some signs of social anxiety. I am an 18 year old male and am in good physical health. I have been looking up symptoms and I display a few. I am usually pretty down and not very extroverted. It is hard for me to show emotions as well and I would like to be more outgoing in my expressions and be more lively. I am always tired and always have problems waking up, even if I sleep for 10+ hours. I am a little overly irritable, mostly with my parents. I also have a lot of trouble focusing. I have also recently (within the past month) noticed that when I am having a conversation with someone and feel a little nervous, when I smile my jaw and lips sometimes slightly tremble. This has been my most dreaded effect because it is the most obvious and strangest looking. I don't feel suicidal or sad, and try to have a decent outlook on myself and life in general, but these things are starting to get in the way of my everyday life. I think this may be a result of a lot of things from my childhood. Nothing too traumatic or anything, just a lot of things that I wish I could change. I was wondering if an SSRI would be a good choice or if anyone has any other suggestions. I was considering therapy but am not sure how effective that would be for me. Thanks for any help!

Dec 2009
I also forgot to mention that sometimes when talking to people I get the urge to hit them in the face for no reason. Lots of times this is people I don't even know and I'm not sure why I get this feeling. Thanks for any help!

SWM

May 2008
hi jordo,

it would not be possible for anybody here to say if you have depression and it would not be right if they did.

depression is a very common problem with latest research saying about 1 in every 9 people have some form of depression.

depression is also very easily treatable. first line of treatment is watchful waiting, which recognises that people feel unhappy with their lives due to circumstances and as circumstances change a persons mood will change. so for people who are first presenting with mild symptoms of depression the best thing to do is wait and see.

after this a self help materials is the most effective form treatment. this involves simple small lifestyle changes. taking a little bit of exercise each day, making sure that you get out of bed and stay out of bed at the same and at reasonable time every morning, eat healthily, set some goals and learn some problem solving techniques. all of these things have good evidence to say this is the best form of treatment for mild depression.

if a person has not improved with these simlpe steps then a beyond that a combination of cbt and ssri is the choice of treatment.

if you think you may have depression and want to to look further at what you can do have a look at these

www.glasgowsteps.com

and self help materials compiled by NHS uk http://www.thegarthsurgery.nhs.uk/fileadmin/garth/cmhd_self_help.htm
particularly "understanding deperssion"

Nov 2021
London
I am interested in understanding psychology best online counseling help very well on this issue. I was extremely surprised to find out how many problems can be solved this way.And how amazing that fact was for me. that many things that are actually obvious, we simply ignore, but if you pay more attention, you can see how much important we miss in everyday life.