Is this a type of personality disorder

Jun 2009
When my boss goes up or down the steps in a hallway (he is 60 and in really great shape) he has to run up or down loudly taking 2 steps at a time and when he is in a bad mood (which is 75% of the time) he has to make his presence known by moving loudly or making unsolicited comments.

He also did one of the 5 day first classes in first aid for hikers and campers and when he gets his yearly physical, he has to wear his mountain medical institute baseball cap to the doctor's. He never wears baseball caps.

SWM

May 2008
not necasserily a type of personlaity disorder there may be mant other explanations of this behaviour.

i geuss the significant thing is that these behaviours are signs of an ego that is asserting its own self importance.

possible narcissism, narcissists are often foudn in high postions such as managerial, executive, etc

Jun 2009
Thanks, that makes sense. He does use the term " I " considerably and he has written a textbook, he has also flown 2500 miles to receive some award. In other words, despite being a reasonably nice guy, he is into himself.

Nov 2008
U.S.A.
I see this as akin to the alpha animal posturing and making it's presence known. Intimidating other animals to cower and submit. It is a management style, but in my experience managers that have to make such an effort are many times insecure and are trying to keep anyone from challangeing their authority. Or possibly showing that they really don't know what they are doing. The narcisist angle is also possible. It could be just saying "look at me"? I agree with SWM it doesn't look like a disorder per say. Just the display of his personality. Since he likes his ego stroked you could use this to get on his good side. I am not saying be a brown nose, but watch for opportunities since he is predictable. If you know where he is going and you get there first it can be to your advantage.

May 2011
It may not necessarily be a disorder, but possibly a defense mechanism? Maybe displacement due to the fact he's taking his emotions/feelings and anger on other people around him without considering them how they feel.

Nov 2010
I don't know hat he has, if anything, but personality disorders are marked by a feeling of being alien, of not belonging in the world. This does not sound like your boss.