Is it normal for a child to hit themselves when being scolded?

Aug 2021
Texas, USA
Yes, that may be a very typical behavior, as you were punishing yourself. It could also be that you were in a way beating you head for a behavior you considered "dumb or stupid", Not words I would apply to anyone, but sometimes we do it to ourselves... How are you doing now? What makes you question the behavior?

Reactions: Usedandabused
Oct 2021
Wilmington, NC
Yes, that may be a very typical behavior, as you were punishing yourself. It could also be that you were in a way beating you head for a behavior you considered "dumb or stupid", Not words I would apply to anyone, but sometimes we do it to ourselves... How are you doing now? What makes you question the behavior?
I have problems with feeling worthless and also engaged in self-harming behaviors in my teen years. Could there be a link?

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Texas, USA
Absolutely, especially if that scolding was in a demeaning form. These days we actually consider name calling abuse. If either parent scolded you by calling you names and told you how bad or worthless you are, you are still feeling residual emotions from those scoldings. You may need help from a counselor, either school, religious, or otherwise to help you get over these feelings. If you decide to try and tackle it yourself, consider something like Cognitive Behavior Therapy, which helps people turn negative feelings/ emotions into more constructive feelings/ emotions. In your local library look for Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Dummies, or some other related resource. Please remember that your parents, teachers, family and friends have all invested in you, and you are definitely worth more than whatever you may be feeling now. Also, now I am invested in you as well, so please let us know how you are progressing...
Best of luck to you,
Ivery

Oct 2021
Wilmington, NC
Absolutely, especially if that scolding was in a demeaning form. These days we actually consider name calling abuse. If either parent scolded you by calling you names and told you how bad or worthless you are, you are still feeling residual emotions from those scoldings. You may need help from a counselor, either school, religious, or otherwise to help you get over these feelings. If you decide to try and tackle it yourself, consider something like Cognitive Behavior Therapy, which helps people turn negative feelings/ emotions into more constructive feelings/ emotions. In your local library look for Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Dummies, or some other related resource. Please remember that your parents, teachers, family and friends have all invested in you, and you are definitely worth more than whatever you may be feeling now. Also, now I am invested in you as well, so please let us know how you are progressing...
Best of luck to you,
Ivery
I actually am getting better now as I've began a meditation practice and have been really exploring my feelings and realizing a sense of self-confidence. Thank you for your concern though.