Illusion in the mind

Sep 2012
Here, Now
[quote author=pljames link=topic=2054.msg15078#msg15078 date=1307052671]
???I remember being asked to focus an a picture. Then something happened. At first the object looked like a vase then two people. How does that work in the mind? pl
[/quote]

Our visual perception is built on a foreground / background system. This is necessary to be able to visually focus on something.

What happens in the face / vase -- necker cube examples is that both of these images are simple enough that our brains can use either the black or white area as either the foreground or background. The difference between whether you see faces or a vase is simply what you focus on (and thus assigning it to the foreground.)

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Re: A afterthought about Illusion in the mind.

My friends,
It seems I have had another epiphany, truth. All my life I have has (low self esteem) brought on because of a identity crisis of who I am. I want to believe (I have worth) so I created my self created illusion called denial. I am sixty eight years old and still living my illusion of denial. I was once evaluated to have (over grandiose thoughts) brought on by my low self esteem. I still have it. I question therapy at my age. I have only seen a glimpse of my (true self which I like) but my denial of any truth draws me back into my illusion.

I love this forum and all of you and your wisdom of sharing your thoughts and experiences with those who will listen. I am in funk wondering what shall I do now? My age comes to mind. I can only share my thoughts with others in hopes they to will learn before it's to late to have any therapy done. What can thearpy do for me at my age? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. pljames

Feb 2011
USA
pljames: Thanks for sharing.
"What can therapy do for me....?" you ask? could any therapy have brought you,to this 'place' you are now? If they could, they would be famous for the results.
Your 'unfolding' is natural; "epiphany" is the correct word,to use instead of 'therapy'.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Sakov,
I remember you writing a thread about believing a unconscious thought. I am believing a unwanted unconscious thought. Denial of my illusion and my low self esteem addiction. My question is how do I get rid of it? I created it and unconsciously believe it. How does one bring their unconscious to consciousness, reality if you wish? I read in this forum someone who said, if you address your unconscious it is now conscious? Was that Earl? I am sick and tired of living this illusion and denial of it.

(I want to control my mind), not this dam addiction controlling my mind! In retrospect I know I created it. Now that I know it' real and exists I want to destroy it. Any ideas? pljames

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Re:Self psychology works.

Self psychology works I am living proof. I am not on drugs booze nothing. I figured out my problem. Denial of a truth, of living a illusion about low self esteem. This form has given me the answer. The word negative comes to mind. It is only a word (only if you believe it's a word). But when Mr negative is believed, the word comes alive. It is given by our (belief in it). Now it works unconsciously behind the conscious, doing everything it can to stay alive and well in our mind. I still maintain the mind is the spirit of the brain.

We have the power to create, even making our words come to life.
Jesus I wish I could put out a shingle. :) Please let me her from y'all! pljames

Mar 2010
PA, USA
[quote author=pljames link=topic=2054.msg21992#msg21992 date=1349725468]
Self psychology works I am living proof. I am not on drugs booze nothing. I figured out my problem. Denial of a truth, of living a illusion about low self esteem. This form has given me the answer. The word negative comes to mind. It is only a word (only if you believe it's a word). But when Mr negative is believed, the word comes alive. It is given by our (belief in it). Now it works unconsciously behind the conscious, doing everything it can to stay alive and well in our mind. I still maintain the mind is the spirit of the brain.

We have the power to create, even making our words come to life.
Jesus I wish I could put out a shingle. :) Please let me her from y'all! pljames[/quote]
Thank you pljames. Thank you for having the courage to post this experience.

Namaste

Feb 2011
USA
"We have the power to create, even making words come to life."
Unfortunately too many "wrong" words are being brought to life; hence so much emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress, is the result.
We're "botching" our create power because we don't recognize the "gift" we're 'endowed' with and so misusing it against ourselves. pljames your 'recognizing' that. Let's get a few more to do likewise. and 'get this show on the road'.

Jun 2009
[quote author=pljames link=topic=2054.msg21987#msg21987 date=1349719637]
My friends,
It seems I have had another epiphany, truth. All my life I have has (low self esteem) brought on because of a identity crisis of who I am. I want to believe (I have worth) so I created my self created illusion called denial. I am sixty eight years old and still living my illusion of denial. I was once evaluated to have (over grandiose thoughts) brought on by my low self esteem. I still have it. I question therapy at my age. I have only seen a glimpse of my (true self which I like) but my denial of any truth draws me back into my illusion.

I love this forum and all of you and your wisdom of sharing your thoughts and experiences with those who will listen. I am in funk wondering what shall I do now? My age comes to mind. I can only share my thoughts with others in hopes they to will learn before it's to late to have any therapy done. What can thearpy do for me at my age? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. pljames
[/quote]

You had the rotten luck of growing up in a time and place where the understanding of human nature was not conducive to either truth or happiness. Since Freud, definitely since late behaviorism, Western society has possessed the odd characteristics of being entirely selfish (centered around the idea of self), but only partly egoistical (centered around one's own self). That is, if there is a problem of mind, one tends to either assume it is a direct problem of self, or that the self ought to play a central role in the solution.

There's simply no evidence to suggest that there is a "true self," only the self as it is, with all its intra- and inter-individual variability. There's no evidence to suggest the self is particularly central to happiness in healthy adults at either level, certainly not to match the level of importance it's given. In fact, memory function is more strongly related to happiness than the self is, to my knowledge. As a system, the self seems no more special than blood circulation.

Stop seeing the world in terms of truth or illusion. Not to be glib, but illusions are illusory. Truth is not something one finds, it's something one sees. Truth lies in the behaviors afforded by perception, and searching for truth affords no behavior save frustration and depression.