Illusion in the mind

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
???I remember being asked to focus an a picture. Then something happened. At first the object looked like a vase then two people. How does that work in the mind? pl

Feb 2011
USA
Search the 'Necker Cube'. You look at a 'stick' figure of a cube, you 'see' it either from the 'top' or 'bottom', then what you see "shifts' back and forth' I said what you 'see shifts', not the firgure itself, the figure is not animated, the animation occurs IN you. Your brain always trys to 'match' whatever you look at with some image from the past. In the case of the 'Necker Cube' you have two images that "fit" what you look at. It's AS IF the brain says' this image fits, but so does this one, take your pick or both.' I "love" the Necker Cube. I hope you report back after you look at it. You might 'swear' it's 'animated', lol.

Dec 2008
nil
You mean the Rubin Vase?

It appears like it does because of figure-ground separation during visual perception.

Feb 2011
USA
Enigma; would you add Necker Cube next to your Rubin Vase, please? I'm as impressed as pljames is

Feb 2011
USA
Thank you very much Enigma; I was hoping, you could put it side by side with Rubin Vase.
Sometimes I can 'edit' (add to a post and sometimes not)is there a time limit on when you can edit?

pljames; " For our next trick..." lol
I'm trying to explain how we use our own images to "trick" ourselves into fear, anxiety, stress, dysfunctional behavior by 'conditioning' ourselves like Pavlov's dogs, and not recognizing WE'RE doing it to our selves.

Feb 2011
USA
pljames; Which perception looks "more real", the Rubin Vase or the Silhouette profiles? (If I had written;" Which is more real, the Rubin Vase or the silhouette profiles? Notice the difference) While seeing one image, does the other exist? The second statement about the vase and profiles implies they are 'real' rather than images on a computer screen. Most people make that "error" with images in their 'mind', they 'mistakenly' believe their 'mental images' are real. What do you get when you react to your images BELIEVED real? Ought we take perceptions seriously without test/verification? What's one lesson we learn from these 'diagrams'?
The alternative perceptions are immediately apparent. But suppose someone believes; "Nobody likes me." 'beliefs become perceptions', when they don't recognize that, it does not occur to them that alternative belief/perception is possible, they might spend their whole life "locked into" that belief/perception that may be false to begin with. ( This applies to all beliefs)
I find that (for me) remembering; "ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE/PERCEPTION IS POSSIBLE"; has a 'therapeutic effect', even 'empowering'. We don't take our 'ephemeral thought-images seriously'. From the outside we look like anyone else, but on the inside we 'manage' our images rather than be 'managed' by them.

Feb 2011
USA
It might be indulging in anthropomorphism to say believing a thought is to inbue/inffuse consciousness in images as "life-force", but the effects of 'believing' seem that way.
When we 'stop' believing a thought, in effect, we withdrawn it's 'life-force'. Thoughts are our creation* .
When molecules,atoms, sub-atomic particles were first postulated, it seemed far-fetched at the time. E=mc2; indeed. You kidding?
* "Thoughts are our creation", is debatable. Brains might be "receivers/transducers"; like radios and T.V.s. The sound and pictures do not appear to come from someplace else other than from the units themselves.
When we look at T.V., we 'look' at pixels but 'see' images as a result. Physicists tell us we' look at' quantuum energy vibrating', but 'see' images our nervous system "construes/constructs" of the quanta, the same as we do with pixels. This may be superfluous for daily living; so we 'settle' for perceptions face value, but as seen by the illustrations, ought we to take perceptions at 'face-value'?
There are other perceptions/perspectives, why "lock in" only on one, that might even be a erroneous one?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I see more of the vase as the silhouette profiles. That cube has enlightened me to understand the mind it seems is its own entity. The cube then is a created illusion I created by believing it's there? Question, empty space states what we observe and believe is a created illusion. I cannot put my mind around that one. Reality is reality from reality comes illusion or vice versa? pl