I owe this forum a apology.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I rant and rave about someone seeing a illusion instead of reality. I did it. Yet it totally behooves and bewilders me that anyone can. I am distressed because my denial was my fault. Now that I understand that I now see others doing the same thing. I am mad at my self because I denied reality for a self created illusion. What confounds me is I see reality (formed matter) that is unformed matter.

I speculate if I see reality then you to must see reality. What am I missing in that statement? I have a autistic son I understand his reality, he sees things his way. I envy him reality brings pain therefore denial. Please elaborate on this thread. pljames

Feb 2011
USA
pljames: Why apologize for doing the 'norm'? It seems to me;( see I'm acknowledging my perception as mine and not universal nor reality.) that what you call 'illusion', I call "thought-created-perception". (Optical illusions and Rorschach projections 'are' "thought-created-perceptions").
"We think thoughts." (That's self evident, right?) When you use or react to your artifacts, do you often forget you make them?
You understand your sons reality, you don't recognize doing the same thing to a much lesser degree? Everyone 'does' it. Perceptions are personal/private'. What confounds most people, they don't recognize where and who "produces/fabricates" perceptions. Human perceptions are an 'extension' of language.
Can consciousness "do" anything? Is consciousness passive/neutral like a mirror? Does consciousness 'animate' thoughts?

Feb 2011
USA
I too, owe the readers of this forum an apology.
In my eagerness, I presented my 'recognition' as if it was obvious; thereby arousing resistance. Now I see (hindsight) I ought to have presented these questions and aroused interest and curiosity and search. Solicting participation.
"What is the effect of believing a thought-image is a real empirical perception?" The effect of "Believed-Thought-Created-Perceptions ?" (We can't start over can we ? and for that I'm sorry.)

Mar 2010
PA, USA
sakoz, you have a lot to say. But instead, you seem intent on pitying yourself. Such a waste. Oh, someone hurt your feelings. What are feelings? Preconceived notions? Get over it.

Feb 2011
USA
pert-5; I'm not 'that' sorry. ;D. I'm sorry my delivery was not more 'palpable' for public/mass consumption. I 'feel' for those who 'don't get it', (even though it's 'in' them.)

To all readers: What is your implicit premise about perceptions?
1. Do we 'make' perceptions, via brain/nervous system? or
2. Are we 'recipients' of perceptions from environment?
What difference does it make to recognize what you believe?
A different orientation is derived from each belief.
The first implies (potential) 'choice'.
The second implies 'victimized'.
Don't underestimate the "potency of believed thought"; analogous to 'performance enhancing steroids'.

When we were learning language, we had no clue the price we would pay and pay, over and over, etc.
We were 'conditioned' to believe some thought-images are real. ( Image-Idolatry?)
And we repeatedly do so, not recognizing what we habitually do.

Feb 2011
USA
pljames:You start this thread with, "seeing illusion instead of reality." ( that's an 'endemic/pandemic problem'; also called 'Maya' from way back.)
Let's 'run' the word 'illusion' through my "sausage machine of 1.2." like I did the word 'perception".
1. Do we 'make' illusions by providing images as 'overlays' on facts? or
2. Are illusions 'natural', given by environment?
Most people believe 2. that magicians 'make' illusions. Not so. They go to great lengths to distract us so that we 'provide' our images to overlay what they do; exactly like we do the rope/snake phenomenon. Illusions are placebo effects, based on BELIEVING.
(I suggest using the terms; "believed-thought-created-perceptions" in order avoid the #2 connotations, and keep #1 connotations 'active' instead.