How much people lie about their vote?

Sep 2020
Spain
Hello.

Sometimes I suspect people usually lie about their political ideas and, as a consequence, they lie about their real vote.

For example, if a man has right-wing ideas but in his social life usually deal with people from left-wing, he may lie about his own political ideas and/or his own vote (Of course, a woman could do the same, but I put a man in the example for avoiding write “he/she” and “his/her” everytime).

I suspect people lie A LOT about that kind of things, because social pressure may be strong, and people usually want to have social life, and someone who defy the ideology of the group takes the risk of being excluded.

However, is only my hypothesis and I haven’t read research papers about it. Can someone help me sending me research about that?

thanks

Mar 2020
US
People can get killed or ruined for supporting what they believe in. It's natural to lie to protect yourself. America isn't a free country. We're all slaves to the mob.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: BillyCap
Oct 2020
New York
That's a very good question. The problem with political ideologies is most don't understand the rationale and scientific behavior of thoughtful voting. Their judgments are based on either conservative upbringing, social circle of homogenous groups, or a very low understanding of politics. So when one comes to a social setting that is vocal about one type of ideology, the person naturally tends to associate with the group as there could be extreme social repercussions as neither the left nor right completely understand freedom of choice and expression. I've given a very generic opinion. Find three attached research links that could be of help.
The first is Exploring the Psychological Foundations of Ideological and Social Sorting by Political Psychology. Read through the abstract first, if it is convincing, proceed with the whole research article. Part of the abstract reads- "We argue that psychological characteristics can help explain the tendency to sort ideologically or socially. Specifically, we investigate an individual’s responsiveness to internal values versus normative social pressures as a determinant of sorting."
I feel it's very close to what you want.
The second one is Oculomotor behavior tracks the effect of ideological priming on deception, by Scientific reports. Part of the abstract is- "Political ideology may foster self-promoting or self-transcending values and thus may balance or fuel self vs. other related conflicts. Here, we explored in politically non-aligned participants whether oculomotor behavior may index the influence on moral decision-making of prime stimuli related to left and right-wing ideologies."
The third one is more of an article titled Politics is personal by the American Psychological Association. It's a good article with 4 additional readings at the bottom. That could be of great help for in-depth reading.

Reactions: Burakkupira