How is sensory information stored in sensory receptors?

Apr 2012
I understand the process of reception and how the sensory information for some sensory stimulus you experience travels along circuits of neurons and neural structures in the form of electrochemical energy until it reaches the brain and forms some sensory perception in the mind.... my question is how information about some sensory stimulus is stored in these neurons and passed along up to the brain....take the example of seeing a red square somewhere in your environment....after the photons of light from the red square interact with the eye and are then transduced into electrochemical energy, how is it possible that this information about the square is represented in our photoreceptors and other neurons along the eye pathways that lead to the brain?....and furthermore, how in the world is this information miraculously formed into some mental, conscious perception after the signal is received in the appropriate brain areas in the occipital lobe? (I realize this second question is still somewhat of a mystery but I'd like to hear your thoughts). Thanks, hope this was clear enough.

Apr 2012
I gained clarity in understanding information storage by learning about "Myelin". As I was made to understand, each and every neuron impulse firing causes the manufacture of a myelin sheath structure that facilitates similar impulses at an increasing rate relative to occurrence. In effect this "myelin" creates pathways for information gathered and used. Wikipedia has a pretty good section on same.

Apr 2012
I've read some about the myelin sheath, but it doesn't seem that they have anything to do with the information itself....Glial cells insulate axons by enclosing parts of them in a protective myelin sheath...it insulates nerve fibers from one another and so it serves a protective function...and it also allows for for faster conduction velocity of impulses and signals traveling through the axons of neurons.....but these functions of myelin don't tell me about the information or the nerve impulse itself....how is it possible that what turns into a conscious, mental perception of some object in the outside world could possibly be conveyed or represented in some electrochemical impulse?

Apr 2012
The origin of perception must assimilate with the growth of our realm of consciousness. As physiologically we encounter all stimuli, surely we orient, associate, and slowly create imagination from accumulated experiences.