How do I stop paranoid thinking when filling out job applications?

Oct 2021
Wilmington, NC
When filling out job applications, I get very paranoid. I feel like they're trying to trick me or accuse me of lying when they ask me things that could be found on my resume. I was filling out a job application to be a teacher and they asked if I was on any sort of blacklist for teaching kids and I got very angry as I thought they were calling me a pedophile or child abuser. Or they ask if I have a criminal record and I think they're calling me a criminal. How do I stop this thinking? I have a job tutoring, but I need a better paying job so I need to fill out applications, but I avoid them as I get anxious filling them out.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Texas, USA
So, find some generic applications on the internet and practice filling them out. Them more you fill them out, the better you will become at it. Eventually you will not have any issues filling them out in reality! Practice makes perfect as the old saying goes, and there is a lot to be said for it.. We could call it a kind of exposure therapy!
Good luck,
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
When filling out job applications, I get very paranoid. I feel like they're trying to trick me or accuse me of lying when they ask me things that could be found on my resume. I was filling out a job application to be a teacher and they asked if I was on any sort of blacklist for teaching kids and I got very angry as I thought they were calling me a pedophile or child abuser. Or they ask if I have a criminal record and I think they're calling me a criminal. How do I stop this thinking? I have a job tutoring, but I need a better paying job so I need to fill out applications, but I avoid them as I get anxious filling them out.
That is not paranoid thinking, that is normal thinking. The person who asked you those questions was unfit as an employer. Perhaps you are getting bad references by a stalker at your previous job. For example I was being stalked by a professor at a University over 5 years ago, and I had absolutely no idea, he had links with the Irish mob too, and was the son of a cop (he was an Irish national but British by birth, however Irish in the end). I mean, I was a student back then, how would I have known? He pretty much got involved in several crimes, and it hasn't stopped yet, if it wasn't him it was another member of the organised group (irish again), I am always fearful for my life. It is what stalking is, being angry at your stalker who is spreading these falsehoods is normal, as really they should be elsewhere, not outside offending and committing pretty serious crimes, but yes, best to avoid them and try to find a really good employer, not some idiot who believes everything he-she is told.
One technique he would use was unfair competition, either directly or indirectly, which again is illegal, and example he'd approach my contacts directly, or indirectly, through "nationality" and that way he'd manipulate this or that person. It's hard to resist that kind of manipulation unless you are really secure with yourself as a person, and a lot of people are insecure, so the best is to find a secure employer, who isn't weakened by race, nationality, gender, or other meaningless "attributes".

Last edited:
Aug 2021
Texas, USA
As I have thought about my answer above, I agree with Usedandabused that it is not paranoia, but a defensive mechanism you have adopted in your interactive relationships. You have allowed yourself to take everything, even those not necessarily addressed at you to be taken personally. You will have to make a cognitive decision every time these feelings come up to rationally and logically say to yourself "this person is not attacking me personally, they are not questioning my behaviors or values, they are just asking a question any rational person would ask if they are hiring someone". An analogy would be if you were looking for a babysitter for your child one of the questions you may ask would be if they had ever been accused or convicted of child abuse. You are not making accusations, but this is information you really need to know if you are hiring a baby sitter...
Best of luck
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
Idk, legally, it is a serious thing to gossip, as gossip is defamation, and if defamation lawsuits are affordable wherever you are, I'd highly recommend them.