How do feelings function?

Jan 2022
Boston, MA
Hello, I've been wondering how feelings function in the mind. Like when do they start and stop, are there multiple feelings occurring at the same time and how do feelings feel. I guess I'm a little bit confused about my feelings and emotions and how I feel.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Texas, USA
Your feelings are a result of your history of experience and your perception of the world around you. As you have aged you have collected through experience a group of things which were pleasurable, painful, exciting, and so forth. You see the world through the filters of these experiences and these constitute your feelings. For instance, you may not like hot tea as a result of having burned your mouth earlier in life, so you do not feel like you like hot tea. As you continue to age your experiences will continue to expand, as will your feelings. Logic, or reason, on the other hand, is trying to ignore feelings to make rational decisions. You may feel a person with a criminal history is guilty, just because they have a criminal history. Through logic and reasoning, however, you may find that they are innocent this time because they were not able to have committed this particular crime...
Hope this helps,
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
Hello, I've been wondering how feelings function in the mind. Like when do they start and stop, are there multiple feelings occurring at the same time and how do feelings feel. I guess I'm a little bit confused about my feelings and emotions and how I feel.
Generally to simplify, I'll say the hypothalamus is involved in emotions, but really they are several areas, mainly the hypothalamus as it's mighty, you can imagine it as big because it is mighty, but it isn't that big. Generally I like to imagine it as big, as I associate it with its functions, however the correct adjective to describe it is "mighty".

Jan 2022
Boston, MA
it has a big connection straight with your emotions
Thanks. That makes me think about what the difference is between emotions and feelings anyway. When you said emotions i thought about the primary emotions and that my feelings must be the result of those main emotions of like happy, sad, anger, fear, surprise and disgust. That's what I read about the difference between emotions and thoughts anyway.