How can an adult choose and grow in a career in a healthy way?

Dec 2021
Brazil
So, I am 25, I've a moderately rough life in Brazil and never been able to choose a professional path to follow on. I reflect about this issues a lot, since I was like 18 and had to choose a career to follow, but I am always changing directions, whether at jobs or in higher education courses.

One part of me is starting to believe there's no such thing as the right path and you must simply pick anything that might be pleasant for you and be consistent with it, and another part of me wants the best career possible, that one that would benefit me with the possibility of making a good amount of money, but mainly the possibility of personal growth, a career that stimulates my curiosity and works as a boost for my growth.

I watch people around me and the vast majority of them doesn't seem to have such an issue. Some will pick a career for money reasons mainly, some will go for the dream career they've always wanted regardless of financial gains, and some will just random pick anything, but the vast majority of them will be able to pick something anyway and be consistent with that.

On the other hand, I see a lot of adults who are completely unsatisfied with their jobs and live miserable lifes in that aspect, like they didn't make a good choice but had to stick with that once responsibilities started to grow.

I feel like I am running out of time and I have to specialize in something, but if I choose a career for money reasons only, althought that would give me resources to live, I may become one of those ungrateful people who hates their job. On the other hand, it seems I can not find that amazing career path only by introspection, so I must risk myself until I find something worth chasing as a career and, if it fails, I'll have to stick to anything anyway in order to live.

I would be grateful if you guys gave me your opinions about the topic! Since there are professionals on this forum, maybe I could learn something about the issue or have some insight :) Much love.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
First of all you have a long life ahead of you, and should be able to make several career paths during that time if you need to. I am in my sixties and have had at least three different careers, all successful, some for money, some for self satisfaction. Your school should be able to help you with something like an aptitude test, but you can also just sit down and dream. What is your ideal job? What are the benefits and detriments of that job? An example would be that teaching is a self fulfilling job, but it does not pay well. Go through a few of this type of exercises knowing that you always have time to change your mind if you do not like what you find...Also rely on your family and friends for input...
Good luck,
Ivery

Dec 2021
Europe
Very Simple method: for 2 - 3 days put phone, friends, parents, news down. Dont play, do it. Down means: no one look of phone,... You Will get at least 25 y project out of it, but it you are "alive" you would do it in death bad.
Please think about: mosquito meaks a leaving, why you think is even a good idea for 1 sec. To talk about Money career for human with 10 billions neurons dont be nanthentard..

Dec 2021
Brazil
Thank you guys.

IveryKeys,
Well, I do this kind of exercises regularly, I did several aptitude / vocational tests and talked with several people, including parents and friends, for several years. Usually, my friends understand my questions and say that I have to focus on anything to grow - and I think they're right about that - but they don't understand why I stagnate with that, because I just don't feel enough motivation to go through a rough path without wanting it in the first place, for the sake of growing up simply. My parents - specially my father - will judge me immature and get mad at me, we already had this conversation a couple times but it led to nowhere, so I just keep it to myself anyway.

I guess you're right to mean that I don't have to overwhelm myself because I still have a long life ahead tho. But at the same time it's difficult you know.. time goes on wheter I'm ready or not.

Mr. Smith,
That's a good point I think, being alone in nature always inspires me and our modern life is so accelerated indeed.. I never did that with that intent to see the outcome. Anyway, I think money opens up opportunities and can hold our life together - in an external sense -. Maybe we're not naked in the woods, like our ancestors, but we're still fighting for our survival.

Jul 2021
London
So, I am 25, I've a moderately rough life in Brazil and never been able to choose a professional path to follow on. I reflect about this issues a lot, since I was like 18 and had to choose a career to follow, but I am always changing directions, whether at jobs or in higher education courses.

One part of me is starting to believe there's no such thing as the right path and you must simply pick anything that might be pleasant for you and be consistent with it, and another part of me wants the best career possible, that one that would benefit me with the possibility of making a good amount of money, but mainly the possibility of personal growth, a career that stimulates my curiosity and works as a boost for my growth.

I watch people around me and the vast majority of them doesn't seem to have such an issue. Some will pick a career for money reasons mainly, some will go for the dream career they've always wanted regardless of financial gains, and some will just random pick anything, but the vast majority of them will be able to pick something anyway and be consistent with that.

On the other hand, I see a lot of adults who are completely unsatisfied with their jobs and live miserable lifes in that aspect, like they didn't make a good choice but had to stick with that once responsibilities started to grow.

I feel like I am running out of time and I have to specialize in something, but if I choose a career for money reasons only, althought that would give me resources to live, I may become one of those ungrateful people who hates their job. On the other hand, it seems I can not find that amazing career path only by introspection, so I must risk myself until I find something worth chasing as a career and, if it fails, I'll have to stick to anything anyway in order to live.

I would be grateful if you guys gave me your opinions about the topic! Since there are professionals on this forum, maybe I could learn something about the issue or have some insight :) Much love.
I think that is kinda normal in today's age, but I must say I don't mind as long as it's employment, as motivation theorists explain, people are motivated by employment, which is why employment is very important for satisfaction and happiness.

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Lhman, you could also try volunteering at several different places that you think you might like to work, that may give you an idea about whether that thing may interest you or not...like working with animals? volunteer in an animal shelter or vet clinic...don't limit yourself, go for your dream, you may find it is not a difficult as you believe...
Good luck,
Ivery