Helping everyone but yourself

Jun 2020
Greece
What are some practices that can help increase mindfulness about one's own affairs without doing a pendulum swing into the opposite extreme? I get so caught up in trying to help others resolve their matters that I lack conscious awareness of the fact that mine even exist. Then, one day, it dawns on me, and I realize how much there is to do in my own life.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Socrates would tell you that the unexamined life is a life not worth living. Others would tell you to know your self and to your own self be true. I would tell you that you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. I would promote a wholistic approach to life, mentally, physically, and spriitually. Make sure you are healthy in all these areas and you will be better able to help others without depleting yourself. I believe in you, and look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future...
Regards,
Ivery

Reactions: Phoenix
Jun 2020
Greece
Socrates would tell you that the unexamined life is a life not worth living. Others would tell you to know your self and to your own self be true. I would tell you that you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others. I would promote a wholistic approach to life, mentally, physically, and spriitually. Make sure you are healthy in all these areas and you will be better able to help others without depleting yourself. I believe in you, and look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future...
Regards,
Ivery
Thanks...but believing that I'm my priority is very different than being consciously aware of the fact that I'm neglecting my own needs while tending to others'. My problem is more so that I don't have the self-awareness that I'm doing this until it's been going on for a while. I think that it may pertain to hyperfocus, after thinking about it more...the areas I'm helping in are also subjects I'm interested in. Maybe it's just a failure to balance my time...

Jul 2021
London
What are some practices that can help increase mindfulness about one's own affairs without doing a pendulum swing into the opposite extreme? I get so caught up in trying to help others resolve their matters that I lack conscious awareness of the fact that mine even exist. Then, one day, it dawns on me, and I realize how much there is to do in my own life.
Help everyone and yourself, it shouldn't be a choice. :)