Help with a Client

May 2020
New York
Hey y’all. I’m new to these online forums, but I’m a rookie in Psych still and work as a residence coordinator. I have a client who used to be homeless but now lives in our assisted living apartments. He’s stuck in a homeless mindset though and doesn’t shower. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on how I could influence him to start showering regularly.

Mar 2020
US
I lived in a "get off the streets" facility for 3 years.

Most people there acted homeless with a roof over their head.

If this guy believes he can do anything except be a sheltered homeless man he might give it a try.

Some people get stuck and I don't think you should hurt yourself trying to solve stubborn problems.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bcavazza
Jun 2020
Philippines
Hey y’all. I’m new to these online forums, but I’m a rookie in Psych still and work as a residence coordinator. I have a client who used to be homeless but now lives in our assisted living apartments. He’s stuck in a homeless mindset though and doesn’t shower. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on how I could influence him to start showering regularly.
I think you have to win the client's trust. The client probably spends more time being homeless and got used to it. It's a change in changing a habit which imprinted for a long time. You need to be more understanding without affecting yourself too much.