financial issues and therapy

Apr 2021
brazil
i have been trying to cut expenses and really cant afford therapy anymore. my therapist seems not to agree with that and keeps telling me to sell my apartment. I told her that what I need is to cut expenses because if i sell my apartment and i keep spending more than i earn soon i will run out of money and wont have a place to live. she is pushing and i feel she is trying to convince me to do something i dont want to. the only high expense i have right now is therapy and i told her i can t ruin my financial live to keep therapy going. i am getting nervous. and i feel i will have to be rude in order to terminate the therapy. is her attitude right for a therapist?

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
First of all, I do not know what you are going to for, nor how far you have come in recovering. That said, if you no longer feel you need therapy and can function without it, then go ahead and drop your therapist, If, however, you are doing this simply because you are out of money, and still feel you need therapy, there are other alternatives, such as religious counselors, school counselors, local Mental Health resources, and so forth. Good luck,, let us know how things are going for you...
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
i have been trying to cut expenses and really cant afford therapy anymore. my therapist seems not to agree with that and keeps telling me to sell my apartment. I told her that what I need is to cut expenses because if i sell my apartment and i keep spending more than i earn soon i will run out of money and wont have a place to live. she is pushing and i feel she is trying to convince me to do something i dont want to. the only high expense i have right now is therapy and i told her i can t ruin my financial live to keep therapy going. i am getting nervous. and i feel i will have to be rude in order to terminate the therapy. is her attitude right for a therapist?
Yeah, that's quite a red flag. Just don't go there anymore, write a letter that you can't afford the therapy any longer. If they can help out with welfare, great, otherwise bye. Should get free healthcare if you can't afford the healthcare, either that, or at least offer really economic prices. You could find a good therapist that may charge you much less too or that allows you to get welfare, but unless you suffer from a very difficult condition like sociopathy, therapy should not take more than a year or two.

Last edited:
Nov 2021
Malta
May be you can find a therapist that suits your need over here on this website. Your therapist sure as hell isn't appropriate with you because for starters he/she is your therapist not your financial account manager so they get to have no say in what you sell or what you keep.