Fast-Track to PhD

Nov 2021
Canada
Hi all,

I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post. I am currently an M.A1 student and my supervisor is telling me he would like me to fast-track my project to PhD. I have a few questions and concerns.

Let me start by saying that I've been with him and at my lab for 5 years (undergrad, and MA1) and he and I have a great relationship. I do not intend to stay in academia and would like to go into industry after graduating.

I guess first and foremost, what did your guys' timeline look like for you who fast-tracked? I know it is heavily variable from person to person, but how many years of PhD did you guys do do after you fast tracked? Did you feel like it was the right decision for you? Finally, a concern of mine that I have heard from others and would like your opinion, do you think you are overqualified for most positions because you have a PhD?

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Just one more option, you could also fast track to an M.D. in psychiatry...
Best of luck to you,
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
Hi all,

I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post. I am currently an M.A1 student and my supervisor is telling me he would like me to fast-track my project to PhD. I have a few questions and concerns.

Let me start by saying that I've been with him and at my lab for 5 years (undergrad, and MA1) and he and I have a great relationship. I do not intend to stay in academia and would like to go into industry after graduating.

I guess first and foremost, what did your guys' timeline look like for you who fast-tracked? I know it is heavily variable from person to person, but how many years of PhD did you guys do do after you fast tracked? Did you feel like it was the right decision for you? Finally, a concern of mine that I have heard from others and would like your opinion, do you think you are overqualified for most positions because you have a PhD?
I never fast-tracked, as I did not have any recommendations. I did the standard PhD. I do think it is better to get that, as obviously you don't have to worry about finances etc., but I wasn't that lucky so can't advise much, but you have done your MA1 in the end, so I guess you are getting a reduced phD, and in my view it is better than how they do it in some places where people just through acquaintances are given the option to skip the master's and into the phD.