Effects of Unconscious and Unrecognized Beliefs

Feb 2011
USA
In this scientific era, even the masses know about the Submicroscopic Level; of both electrons and microbes and their effects.
The effects of 'believed thought', whether unconscious or simply not recognized are; emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, stress, mistakes, psychosomatics, etc.
Before the age of science, when people did not understand something or could not control somethings (rain) they attributed the cause to the will/whim/wit of the "gods".
Some people still attribute their emotions as being 'externally' caused rather than,by their own unwittingly,unrecognized beliefs.

I distinguish unconscious and unrecognized beliefs. Depression can be a example of unconscious beliefs caused emotion.
Placebo belief is recognized, what is not recognized is that it's false; the pill is fake, making the belief erroneous. ( but still potent and effective until recognized as false)
The people that say: "I thought the gun was empty". Cleary recognized their thought, but they did not recognize it was false.
Not recognizing which thoughts are false is very common 'malady/proclivity'. Examples: "I'm worthless." "I won't amount to anything." "Nobody likes me." He/she/they will reject me."
" I can't do it." "There's something wrong with me." on and on. >Can 'you' recognize, at face value, which one's are true and which one's are false?< Could the Pope and Dali Lama determine any better than you, which are false? NOT without reference/comparison to FACTS, otherwise known as 'reality'. When thoughts 'come' into 'your' awareness, your faced with the same question, true or false. Is it a HABIT to believe all your thoughts as they appear, regardless of there validity? Checking AFTER believing, like the gun example? "Believing" is a responsibily, if you do by default or habit, it's a liability.
"What you believe is what you get," (experientially). Do you find believing indiscriminitely, feasible? Your results are your answer. On automatic there's no choice inolved.
Is the word "habit" similar to the words; mechanical,robotic,repetitive, automatic? "Believing" is awesome, you do it so easily, but what do you know about it, how you do it?

SWM

May 2008
how might we approach this problem of understanding how to stop believing our images are real?

i dont think that using the term "believing our images are real" helps us to understand what is actually happening.

SWM

May 2008
At this point in time, the only explaination I can come up with is ,when I was afraid of the boogyman, the only thing I could find, was a image in my mind, my parents even helped me look in the closet and under the bed. We could not find an 'existential' boogyman; we kept ending up to and with my image. It seems to me a logical conclusion that my fear was to my believed image, because when I stopped believing my image was real, my fear stopped too. So I looked no further. Am I missing something?
you had an image of the boogy man, and you went about looking to see if that image was real. you looked in the closet and you looked under the bed and the boogy man was not there.

was the image of the boogy man still in your head? what caused that image to no longer effect you in the same way it did previously?

SWM

May 2008
did you notice that you have new images in your head, after looking under the bed and in the closet?

SWM

May 2008
why is the image no longer believed?

you looked for the boogy man under the bed and in the closet? there was no boogy man in the closet, there was no boogy man under the bed.

the new images based on facts of your experience were of nothing under the bed and nothing in the closet.

your schema changed.

SWM

May 2008
schema is the organisation of experiences into a structure that forms the basis for the symbolisation of future experiences.

you say the thought is no longer believed because "it is recognised that it does not fit with any facts"
you have thrown the baby out with the bath water. how does recognition take place?

what is recognition, is it not that re-congition (re-thinking) is formulating new images or new cogntions.

Sep 2009
Yes, Sakoz, another reader gets it.

How bout ... if the boogy man is not underneath the bed nor in the closet where was the boogy man to begin with? Where and how did the boogy man originate?

Sep 2009
Is a scary dream a "figment" of ones imagination as well? Was it simply last night dinner? A speck of rancid liverworst?

What happens when you experience fear?

Feb 2011
USA
"What happens when you experience fear?"
You might pee your pants, or crap, or both.