Does existance of uncoscious mind, make free will impossible ?

Sep 2021
France
Wow, FROID, that is very interesting. You are asking me to remove your burden of freedom, which is something the great majority of people in the world to day desire... it sounds like this may be something you will need help conquering, I am not sure you can accomplish this by yourself. I wish you the best of luck, and will support you any way I can, but this may be more than we can accomplish on this forum...
Ivery
I'am not asking you to help me to free myself but to proof that you yourself have a free will by how you said taking "a hammer to the thumb " ?
Besides, is there a reason to believe in free will others than that it give you the capacity to critisize anyone who you don't like ? Great majority of the world may desire to remove free will, but in reality it is also necesarry at least to some point, as if everyone would believe in his freedom, casuality, the main tool of reason and science will become alienated. Every mass murder, could be blamed on free will, every death from disease could be blamed on free will. Instead of analysing and changing the reasons of a phenomenon, it would become widely accepted that each misery is started by an invisible and unstopablle parasyte named the freedom to act as you want.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
I'am not asking you to help me to free myself but to proof that you yourself have a free will by how you said taking "a hammer to the thumb " ?
Besides, is there a reason to believe in free will others than that it give you the capacity to critisize anyone who you don't like ? Great majority of the world may desire to remove free will, but in reality it is also necesarry at least to some point, as if everyone would believe in his freedom, casuality, the main tool of reason and science will become alienated. Every mass murder, could be blamed on free will, every death from disease could be blamed on free will. Instead of analysing and changing the reasons of a phenomenon, it would become widely accepted that each misery is started by an invisible and unstopablle parasyte named the freedom to act as you want.
Free will is really a stoic term, if we think of Seneca and the other stoics that used it, it is quite a spiritual ascetic way to view at things. I think you are quoting Durkheim when you are stating that free will is the freedom of harm too, in terms of that we don't know whether we are right and criminal psychopaths are right, why we think we are right. Simple, I believe psychopaths are wrong and we are right, I'll use Darwin for that, as the survival of the species is important, so in my view materialism does answer that question. Modern science has particularly proven that our bodies want to survive as there are animals that for example live at least 3 times our lifespan.

Reactions: FROID
Sep 2021
France
Free will is really a stoic term, if we think of Seneca and the other stoics that used it, it is quite a spiritual ascetic way to view at things. I think you are quoting Durkheim when you are stating that free will is the freedom of harm too, in terms of that we don't know whether we are right and criminal psychopaths are right, why we think we are right. Simple, I believe psychopaths are wrong and we are right, I'll use Darwin for that, as the survival of the species is important, so in my view materialism does answer that question. Modern science has particularly proven that our bodies want to survive as there are animals that for example live at least 3 times our lifespan.
I do not realy say that free will is also freedom to harm. I tried to demonstrate that as anythying can be blame on the believe in free will, the believe in free will can introduce disadvantages into societies, as the believe in free will may discourage to seek pragmatic resolutions to certains issues because we can always say that person to which this tragedy happened was of his own fault and he could simply act differently.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
I do not realy say that free will is also freedom to harm. I tried to demonstrate that as anythying can be blame on the believe in free will, the believe in free will can introduce disadvantages into societies, as the believe in free will may discourage to seek pragmatic resolutions to certains issues because we can always say that person to which this tragedy happened was of his own fault and he could simply act differently.
Of course you don't say that, Durkheim said that :p :) Yes, it is not always their fault, because psychopathy really exists, as a psychiatrist did many studies proving it, and I have experienced a few and they do really cause trouble. It's good to think society is rosy and all that, but it's also ok to be prepared in case it lets us down. Of course if you live in a safe area all good, but imagine venturing to places where there are many negative situations, and you don't know it, and least expect it, as it's just new, then it's hard to blame yourself or the victim in general over it, you do blame the psychopath, because that's where the actual blame belongs, but yes, you could say it is your fault to feel better about it, except it isn't because we live in a society, which should be our protection.

Last edited:
Jul 2021
London
Logically how can someone else's actions be your fault? It is against logic to make yourself believe that, because someone else convinces you to think so. They are very peculiar, as generally are affected by a substance abuse issue, low intelligence, and a mixture of this, as well as high serotonin levels, and were extremely spoiled as children, they never suffered in their lives, and being quite not intelligent, are very arrogant. Imagine just looking at one can trigger dangerous behaviours against your person, regardless of what your rights are. So in general it is good to know your rights and recognise them, some travel to you too, you can't know, you can predict them, yes, but only if you learn what that is. Thankfully we live in a fair society, but not all societies are fair, so yes, to consider this, and I understand you are saying "ok, those who live in those societies are a bit losers", well yes, it does have a genetic "reason" and predisposition, but studies say that it is not a necessity to becoming one. They can simply make the right choices. It's hard to say when the psychopath has never experienced hardship, then how can he-she know what hardship is.