Does existance of uncoscious mind, make free will impossible ?

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
As reasoning logical beings we should examine all our conscious thoughts before making a cognizant decision. You may not be aware of subconscious thoughts, but are still able to make intelligent decisions based upon the conscious information your senses and cognitive training provide you.
Hope this answers your question,
Ivery

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
If we can't see all our thoughts, is there a place for our own choices and freedom in our lives ?
I can respond in somatic terms and your mind is free in somatic terms as we have such a large neuronal network (basically larger than the stars in the milky way), that you couldn't say we are restrained in our thoughts, we have lots of capacity compared to computers for example, but yes as far as Freud is concerned, Ivery provided a good enough answer ;)

Oct 2021
Canada
Say two racoons descended from space and laser jacked my mind.

If the lasers somehow excited my sub conscious brain, and my emotional brain remembered the "sensation", then "free will" could exist, unless you asked the racoons to define exactly how much their operation costs.

In the 5th century, FACT! The letter "S" began to look similar to the letter "f".

The word "F"ree may be brain damage from the plague, dark ages and nothing more.

Jul 2021
London
Say two racoons descended from space and laser jacked my mind.

If the lasers somehow excited my sub conscious brain, and my emotional brain remembered the "sensation", then "free will" could exist, unless you asked the racoons to define exactly how much their operation costs.

In the 5th century, FACT! The letter "S" began to look similar to the letter "f".

The word "F"ree may be brain damage from the plague, dark ages and nothing more.
That sounds like some conspiracy theory nonsense sorry.

Sep 2021
France
As reasoning logical beings we should examine all our conscious thoughts before making a cognizant decision. You may not be aware of subconscious thoughts, but are still able to make intelligent decisions based upon the conscious information your senses and cognitive training provide you.
Hope this answers your question,
Ivery
Perchaps our conscious thoughts, as you say are reliant enough to make decisions freely. However, what if our examination of conscious thoughts is just an illusion and in reality we just explain try to explain to ourselves what our subconsiousness had already chosen.
Then, what is the cognitive training ?

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
Your cognitive training includes your sensory experiences, memories, and your abstract concepts such as math. I think, therefore I am is the beginning of the cognitive experience. The fact that you are actually typing questions on a psychology forum should demonstrate to you your own existence. Don't believe me? Take a hammer and hit your thumb with it, then see if it is all in your head, or if there may be more to reality than just your ethereal thoughts...
Good luck, (and maybe just a scratch on the arm would be better than a hammer to the thumb, that was just to make a point...)
Ivery

Jul 2021
London
Your cognitive training includes your sensory experiences, memories, and your abstract concepts such as math. I think, therefore I am is the beginning of the cognitive experience. The fact that you are actually typing questions on a psychology forum should demonstrate to you your own existence. Don't believe me? Take a hammer and hit your thumb with it, then see if it is all in your head, or if there may be more to reality than just your ethereal thoughts...
Good luck, (and maybe just a scratch on the arm would be better than a hammer to the thumb, that was just to make a point...)
Ivery
yes, that is Descartes.