Do you "get it" ?

Feb 2011
USA
When a thought "comes to mind"; do you discern whether it was 'subliminally believed' before arrival? *
Would it make a difference if you knew?

* If you don't laugh at that question, you 'don't get it'. ( read it a few more times).

Gotcha ? In order to discern whether a thought was 'subliminally believed' before arrival in awareness, is that it has to be recognized as a thought; (the catch is) if the thought "was" subliminally believed before arrival, you won't recognize it, because a 'believed thought' appears as/manifests as a PERCEPTION. (mistaken for reality).
The "disguise" is unrecognizable; how else do you think you can 'deceive' yourself to experience emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress, etc.?
So the environment (innocently) "takes the rap" as if causing those symptoms.

The meaning of words are concomitant images. I consider myself 'visual oriented' even though my mental images are vague, out-of-focus, background, peripheral, ephemeral. How sharp and clear are yours?
Here's a word from Hungarian Language, " ceruza "; do you have a image associated to it? If not, then it has 'no meaning to you'. 'Meaning' is in people, not in objects.
When we think/talk, our images seem like shadows, often we're not even aware of them, they are seemingly covert, yet vital.
The 'power' of words is in the images evoked. Subliminal believing results in subliminal perceptions.
"All creatures are involuntarily responsive to perceptions." (including covert ones in humans.) Some reactions to 'believed images' are below the 'threshold of awareness' so a polygraph is required to detect the physiological reactions.
The experience of emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress are very overt, even though the causitive believed images causing them are (often) covert.( how else can "just thinking about" something cause reactions/experience/ behavior?
Subception of covert images is not being addressed even though it's causes so much of human behavior/experience.
When you experience the 'symptoms' I mentioned, consider them analogous to the 'read-out' of a polygraph.

Feb 2011
USA
We're aware of the difference between using a pencil and a printer. Using a pencil manually requires effort. Using a printer, we press a button or click on the word 'print' on screen and the printer is effortless.
When we 'think' from memory/conditioning is very different from getting insights from innate wisdom. :D
(Not all readers have a printer, but all 'have innate wisdom).

Feb 2011
USA
Are you a chronic 'subliminal believer'? How would you know?
'Subliminal Believing' is a "second means of making perceptions". If you recognize subliminal believing, "how" do you distinguish your perceptions of environment from the perceptions you "make by believing"?
Let me demonstrate with a example,(you must generalize/extrapolate from the example.otherwise it's just a single instance).

Most people cannot solve the Nine-Dot puzzle because they believe the eight outer dots are a 'square'(before they start). They perceive their perception of 'square'(that they made) as being external, inherent in the dots. "Subliminal Believing sets limits".
Recognizing "subliminal believing" analogous to and as significant as surgeons recognizing bacteria on hands during surgery and childbirth deliveries, since 1870. Psychologically, we have some "catching up" to do.
( Am I voice in the wilderness? Is 'anybody' listening? )
(pert-5, thanks 'good buddy' for inserting the dots. That very much improves my point. Who can 'look' at the dots and avoid 'seeing' "square"?)
(If you can't distinguish the dots from the 'square' you add, what makes you think you can do it in other contexts? Now I'm redundant or emphasizing?)

Feb 2011
USA
We see WITH MEMORY and with eyes;( combo; simultaneously.)
"Who can look at the dots and avoid 'seeing Square"? Nobody in our culture, but aborigines won't, because there's no 'squares' in nature;(hexagons in honeycombs)/
I assert that the 'square' we see WITH the dots is in your memory. The resaon you see it as if part of the dots is because you "Rorschach Project" it, and so you do not distinguish the two source of perceptions.
Let me clarify; when you see someone for the first time and they REMIND you of someone else, where does the image 'of someone else' come from? It comes from your memory AUTOMATICALLY. You clearly see both 'perceptions' separate; but when you look at the dots, they REMIND you of 'square'; your image, from memory, is SUCH A GOOD FIT they SEEM combined. If you don't recognize that occurring in other contexts as well, your in for surprizes, disappointments, frustrations; example, "I thought the gun was empty!" Emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress, is the result/effect of "subliminally believing' thought-images are real.
We can't avoid seeing memory images, they come automaically, but we 'can' recognize that it occurs, just as surgeons finally recognized bacteria on hands cause infection and so they took precautions. ( Not all guns are empty.) (Not everything you SEE is what it SEEMS.)
(Now do my previous posts "make sense"?)
As you look at the nine dots and also your image of 'square' the two perceptions seem COALESCED. The two seem inseparable, and it cannot be proven visually, no matter how 'hard' you look, we,see both as coalesced. So only by inference can we determine my point. Theoretical Physics is mostly 'inferential', yet look at the electronic technology we take for granted,all based on theory.

SWM asked me;"have you caught many average people in need of distress easing via understanding?" If there's ONE reader who benefited from what i post, let me know.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
Subliminal understanding,
When I see (observe) whatever I see I understand what I am looking at. If a thought comes to mind either by sight or memory I (most of the time understand the thought). To me there are three kinds of thoughts Neutral thoughts postive thoughts negative or subliminal. Depending on the thought which ever one attracts a answer I question otherwise I dismiss it unless it comes back. Thoughts? pl

[quote author=sakoz link=topic=2889.msg20862#msg20862 date=1342887862]
When a thought "comes to mind"; do you discern whether it was 'subliminally believed' before arrival? *
Would it make a difference if you knew?

* If you don't laugh at that question, you 'don't get it'. ( read it a few more times).

Gotcha ? In order to discern whether a thought was 'subliminally believed' before arrival in awareness, is that it has to be recognized as a thought; (the catch is) if the thought "was" subliminally believed before arrival, you won't recognize it, because a 'believed thought' appears as/manifests as a PERCEPTION. (mistaken for reality).
The "disguise" is unrecognizable; how else do you think you can 'deceive' yourself to experience emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress, etc.?
So the environment (innocently) "takes the rap" as if causing those symptoms.

The meaning of words are concomitant images. I consider myself 'visual oriented' even though my mental images are vague, out-of-focus, background, peripheral, ephemeral. How sharp and clear are yours?
Here's a word from Hungarian Language, " ceruza "; do you have a image associated to it? If not, then it has 'no meaning to you'. 'Meaning' is in people, not in objects.
When we think/talk, our images seem like shadows, often we're not even aware of them, they are seemingly covert, yet vital.
The 'power' of words is in the images evoked. Subliminal believing results in subliminal perceptions.
"All creatures are involuntarily responsive to perceptions." (including covert ones in humans.) Some reactions to 'believed images' are below the 'threshold of awareness' so a polygraph is required to detect the physiological reactions.
The experience of emotional suffering, dysfunctional behavior, mistakes, stress are very overt, even though the causitive believed images causing them are (often) covert.( how else can "just thinking about" something cause reactions/experience/ behavior?
Subception of covert images is not being addressed even though it's causes so much of human behavior/experience.
When you experience the 'symptoms' I mentioned, consider them analogous to the 'read-out' of a polygraph.
[/quote]

Feb 2011
USA
pljames:"Subliminal understanding", that phrase can be a 'trap', misleading. Do you mean 'understanding subliminal believing is occurring'?
Subliminal believing is not observable; for example, your heart is beating and you 'know' that, but 'how' do you know? You can't observe it (without x-ray,etc). You 'know by inference'. The effects are visible; experienced.
"Subliminally believing inferences" amounts to a 'double whammy'. First, inference is a 'guess'; second you believe it automaticlly whether true or false; that's like flipping a coin or like russian roulette, is that a good way to make choices, automatically?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I call subliminal negative because it is sub concious. I equate sub concious with bad nature. I try to be moral and good all the time but every once in a while (I slip) it's called (being human). I have been bad and understand why and decided to be good. Even Socrates claimed virtue. Not counting memory bu the thought that comes to mind. I have been negative all my life and I am trying to think positive. Am I off base? pl

Feb 2011
USA
You call subliminal negative because it is subconscious. Yes, subliminal 'means' subconscious, but why negative everytime? Can you know what a thought is "going to be'' before it comes to consciousness? Isn't that 'making' it twice?Ask yourself; "What is my next thought going to be?" ("Feel" the answer")

Every image is a inference because it can't BE the real/original thing itself. 'Images' are proxy, (proxy means 'in place of' or 'instead of" the real thing.
I just made up the phrase IMAGES are PICTORIAL INFERENCES; I have never saw or heard that, you see it here for the first time. (I wonder if it will appear in the dictionary in my lifetime?)

When I 'look' at the nine dots I "see" a 'square', there is NO square on the screen, it is MY "pictorial inference" that I see.
How about you; where's the 'square' you see when you look at the nine dots?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I have been negative all my life because of low self esteem. It's hard to be positive. About the squares I see nine dots as dots without the lines and they remind me of a square but no lines. My memory tells me the thought I am having is good bad or indifferent. I now am trying to decide if the present thought is neurtal positive or negative and form a opinion of how to act on it. I have learned that from the people on this forum you included. I am seriously thinking about hanging out my shingle? pl

Feb 2011
USA
"About the square I see nine dots as dots without the lines and they remind me of a square but no lines". You "got it". Now 'generalize/extrapolate' that to your other 'pictorial inferences'.
Why do i think you have not yet geralized/extrapolated this info? Look at your sentence;" I have been negative all my life because of low self esteem".
Is self esteem like brown hair or blue eyes, a physical trait? or the effect of "subliminally BELIEVING thoughts"? "all my life'? Really, even before your learned language and thinking? I don't believe you were born "with low self esteem", you learned that by 'believing thoughts'.