Did you have issues finding a postdoc?

Jul 2021
London
I have sent thousands of applications but nothing to date. I have no idea how others managed to get the job, but they basically were introduced. My former supervisors told me that they haven't received any reference requests either, and yet, those who advertise jobs i.e. in the States or elsewhere claim how they didn't shortlist me, even if they hadn't received any reference letters...

So it seems a bit of a con. Which website did you use to find the postdoc? It just put me off that they were being a bit dishonest, since no reference letters were asked.

It seems they don't hire anyone, unless they are brought there through a supervisor, but my former supervisor wouldn't do that, as they think you must be hired in the correct manner, yet, noone really does it. I have applied now for years but nothing. All those who got a postdoc was through recommendations, is just the main fact. It makes me respect the researcher that doesn't respond less, in terms that I think the minimum is to get back to the applicant and it's just strange, yet, psychopaths are hired all the time, no questions asked, which I think is strange.

It is why I have been working as a pharmacist in the meantime, because I honestly can't find anything. I think it may be because I am a female and not a "fun" one.

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
In my experience it used to take 10 applications to get an interview, then 10 interviews to land a job, meaning 100 applications per job. The higher up the food chain the job, even more applications may be required. Have patience, I believe in you, and believe you will eventually find the position you are seeking. If you want, send me your resume or application and I will be glad to look at it for you, PM me, and I can furnish more information...
Best of luck either way,
Ivery

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
In my experience it used to take 10 applications to get an interview, then 10 interviews to land a job, meaning 100 applications per job. The higher up the food chain the job, even more applications may be required. Have patience, I believe in you, and believe you will eventually find the position you are seeking. If you want, send me your resume or application and I will be glad to look at it for you, PM me, and I can furnish more information...
Best of luck either way,
Ivery
Thanks, that's very kind, I'd have to switch it to anonymous I guess, before sending it, but do you have experience in academic positions? :)

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
I have been our of school for over forty years, so that experience may be moot, but I have edited books and documents for government agencies, as well as being in positions to hire employees, so have an idea of what may or may not work in resume or application forms. The only parts I would want to see are those you could cut and paste in a PM regarding work or education experience, strengths, weaknesses, and that sort of thing. No personal information, don't want to be responsible for that sort of thing...
Either way, best of luck,
Ivery

Reactions: Usedandabused