Cab you do "love" ?

Apr 2009
Illinois
or is love something one feels when they respect others? You cannot "glee" someone. Can you "sad"? Or is sad a feeling? Anyone know a book title on this subject? I would think this would make for good discussion here.

Apr 2009
Illinois
We are victims of our own linguistic patterns. We attach meaning to words that are errant or different.

If one can understand that, Personality can better be understood if we can deeper understand our own vulnerability to incorrect word usage.

If you wrong somebody, you can make them "feel" hurt. If one respects people, one can feel "love".

Can you "do" love? As in "I love you"? I think you feel the love. We feel the sadness, we can't sad someone.

Apr 2009
Illinois
Respect is an action. Love is present in the presence of respect. Respect is an action of attitude. Love then "brightens" awareness? I think so . . . . any interjections?

Apr 2009
Illinois
[quote author=Enigma link=topic=1235.msg6888#msg6888 date=1268068351]
You can respect someone and not love them.
[/quote]

I don't think so. What about "love your enemy" ? To respect anyone, you must respect everyone.

Dec 2008
nil
[quote author=Bill Hemphill link=topic=1235.msg6890#msg6890 date=1268088642]
[quote author=Enigma link=topic=1235.msg6888#msg6888 date=1268068351]
You can respect someone and not love them.
[/quote]

I don't think so. [/quote]

There are tons of people I respect but I don't love.

What about "love your enemy" ?
What about it?

To respect anyone, you must respect everyone.
Useless vague bullshit saying. Respect is earned, not given. Do you seriously respect every two bit jackoff you pass on the street? And by your logic, that means you must love everyone.

Apr 2009
Illinois
Love is not sex if that is what you are getting at. By your answer, you only respect people that agree with you which means you disrespect yourself. You're running off of your own personal Philosophy of life. It can never find truth, only what it accepts. You should consider "understanding".

Quote by Enigma :

"Useless vague bullshit saying. Respect is earned, not given. Do you seriously respect every two bit jackoff you pass on the street? And by your logic, that means you must love everyone. "

By your quote,I think you confuse the words honor and respect.