Brain/mind

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
The mind is electric and biological and the mind is the essence of the brain? Where does the innate/intuitive part come from the brain or the mind or the heart? It would seem the electric neon's and such transmit it's knowledge from the brain to the mind in the language we understand. Does the brain have emotions are does that come from the heart or mind? To feel ones emotions is one thing to know them is another.

I am of the belief ones knowledge comes from the brain to the mind. The emotions come from the heart to the brain to the mind. Thoughts please? Paul

SWM

May 2008
emotions are throughout the whole body. your central, autonomic and peripheral nervous system experiences emotion.

when you experience the emotion of anxiety you are experiencing in your body changes in your physiological state. physiological symptoms of anxiety are things such as heart rate increase, tension, increase blood pressure, sweating, tingling (butterflies) in the stomach, changes in rate of breathing. when we have this physiological experience we have labelled the experience anxiety and have categorized anxiety as an emotion. other collections of physiological symptoms are given other names such as happiness, anger, sadness etc. these are also categorised as emotions.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
I never knew that. So the body does have a say in something other than the brain. Does innate/intuitive come from the brain mind body heart where? So we are a mixture of everything from the brain mind body and beyond? Paul

SWM

May 2008
when you say innate/intuitive are you meaning a thought. a thought that has some content that you might consider to be mysteriously recieved. if it is a thought you are talking about then it is happening in the brain, but that thought might be an interpretation of your bodily symptoms.

for example. the thought "i am afraid of this situation" would be an interpretation of the physical symptoms of anxiety (as explained in my previous post).

you might also have the thought "i feel strange because god is watching me and know what i have beeen doing" but this might be your brains interpretation of some undigested beef from the previous nights stew. I am not joking.

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
[quote author=SWM link=topic=3156.msg22949#msg22949 date=1357762726]
when you say innate/intuitive are you meaning a thought. a thought that has some content that you might consider to be mysteriously recieved. if it is a thought you are talking about then it is happening in the brain, but that thought might be an interpretation of your bodily symptoms.

( If the body sent the symptom to the brain as a thought why?) Intuitive thought has to be a shadow memory subliminal. The body has memory? Paul

for example. the thought "i am afraid of this situation" would be an interpretation of the physical symptoms of anxiety (as explained in my previous post).

you might also have the thought "i feel strange because god is watching me and know what i have beeen doing" but this might be your brains interpretation of some undigested beef from the previous nights stew. I am not joking.
[/quote]

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
SWM,
Can the body have neurons as well as the brain from the nervous system? Anxiety is created from the nervous system sent to the brain for knowledge? The brain has no emotions are senses? I've always assumed the brain did everything first. Now it seems the body also has knowledge it sends to the brain and vice versa? Eventually the mind is sent this information from either the body or brain/mind? Paul

SWM

May 2008
when you have the thought "i am hungry" what is your mind experiencing. is the mind experiencing the stomach? how? in what way?

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
SWM,
"you have the thought "i am hungry" what is your mind experiencing. is the mind experiencing the stomach? how? in what way" Hunger pains come from the stomach I think"?

I would suppose the stomach and nervous system is sending signals to the brain? Paul

May 2011
Marble, N.C.
There's been talk that our heart has feelings and emotions. If the body can send signals to the brain then each organ, body stomach heart muscles have some sort of intelligence to do this. If we were created from dust which first was atoms and we have atoms within us then there must be some intelligence there? What created the atom? Paul

Oct 2010
Spain
One needs to know what an emotion really is in order to relate it to a feeling. It is a constitutive judgment, not a feeling. Psychology and physiology are typically concerned with the objective (that is, scientific) aspects of the emotions. Consequently, they are primarily interested in their causes - as law-like generalizations between certain cues or circumstances and typical emotional reactions. But what characterizes an emotion is its intentional object - as distinguished from its cause - so we can appreciate how far short of comprehensive understanding of the emotions any psychological or physiological theory must fall. To me, my passion is my way of seeing and structuring my world, whatever might be going on in the synapses of my brain, whatever long forgotten childhood traumas or hereditary primordial behavior may have set up this or that "complex" of reactions, and whether certain chemicals might be peddling their unseen influence in my experiences. What makes the causes of our emotions so insidious is precisely the fact that they have no place in our experience at all. The question we should be asking ourselves is, "Why did I make that judgment?" not "Why do I feel this way?".