Believing what you are told

Mar 2015
Australia
I heard during a television interview from a stated computer robot programmer, after seeing two human looking robots (head, arms, legs and torso) playing soccer, with a computer programmer stating “the problem with computers is that computers are very dumb. Computers lack an ability to emotionally program themselves.” my computer non-expert assumption is computers don't have the ability to rewrite themselves to think over better performing software programming.
I could state that many humans don't have the ability to rewrite and or create their own programming, hence they can be often judged as dumb. Because many people are themselves suffering from similar inabilities, including various addictions, life rolls on regardless.
Babies incentive to stand up and walk would have been brought on by watching older humans walking and running. With out a baby seeing human movement images, emotional prompting self-programming desires to walk maybe obstructed. The rewards for physical and verbal progressive activities are emotionally gratifying, rewarded with endorphins. How much fear of failure prompting babies to not continue trying to succeed is all a bit of a guess. As most humans are physically and mentally capable, I would say feeling fears of failing is not an noticeable issue.
By the time basic communication skills in young children, wanting to progress further has children listening to many conversations to gain further inspirational self-programming. What I'm getting to is that the media are filling human memories with limited knowledge. There may not be that much to learn yet the media are redirecting what best to learn (other than language) with distractions. Most everything heard and read provides nil argumentative evidence allowing self-understanding to increase emotional programming. Most everything heard and read happens behind closed doors, happens far far away and a long time ago. Everything is a single sentence headline statement with a little bit of follow-up reinforcement. Even though information is believed to be new, a list of themes are: crimes, violence, sex, political differences and embarrassments, human tragedies, environmental concerns, finance, law enforcement, sport and far away, long time ago wars. Plus education's limited to spelling words career skills criteria. This limited list rolls over and over. Most all knowledge concerns are unrelated to humans' skilful progressive wisdom learning. Humans can't avoid being in an aircraft crash unless they avoid travelling in aircraft. What much of the information does provide is a need for authority governments to control human environments. Information is useless to human individual experiences, preventing self-programming advancing skills past basic thoughts. Busyness hurrying and mental fatigue aids into preventing prompting doubt, as very little presented information being that rolled over list... can be rationalised as false. There is also an idea that by mixing rolled over list of well known judged to be true information mixed with introduced lies, that unproven lies become true. Introducing a lie with follow up embarrassing side issues, embarrassing side issues believed to be true, reinforces lies as truth. The more something is stated the more that something becomes true.
To aged five year old children trusting parents, authority figures and entertaining informative media becomes a daily repetitive behaviour. Children attending school are fed more information that can't be considered as made up lies, learning for the sake of learning. As mental stress and anxiety over completing daily tasks increases, thoughts of doubting presented history, geology, and proven maths information have least emotional gratifying prompting. Testing student learners allows children and teenagers to experience getting information incorrect fears and correct answer gratification stimulation medication for progressive mental stress. My assumption that centuries ago, religious believers feared being accused of heresy emotionally self-programming themselves to believe in local religious beliefs. Being part of a group emotional well being security feels better than being a rejected ugly duckling heretic.
My unproven summery assumption other than the above argument, because everything should be considered as no more than anecdotal evidence. Why do people believe what they feel to be true is because emotional self-programming has been altered using difficult to prove incorrect information regardless whether information is true of false, information mixed with proven information proven as true, like maths. That information is presented as entertaining formatted nice sounding voices and smiling trustworthy pleasing to look at faces. Education's simple trivial fast moving knowledge format promotes judgemental reasoning. Judgemental reasoning reinforced by emotional gratifying self-programming stimulations for getting knowledge correct. The self feels learning traumas if the self is prompted to re-judge that what is self-programmed to believe, is believed to be incorrect.
In comparison to myself I hear many forms of information yet I have no emotional gratifying stimulation self-programming incentive to believe any information is no more than stated information. I can be told the same information a thousand times over and with one single item of information prompting reasons to believe the thousand repetitions information to be a lie has me easily doubting information to be actual lies. What would prompt me to doubt is a worthy manipulating behavioural remembering reason to the many people whom are fixed in their beliefs.

Last edited:
Feb 2011
USA
" Believing what you are told".... can be as risky as playing 'Russian Roulette', because we are "thought reactors". (via conditioning). We 'experience' thoughts.
It behooves us to recognize we are conditioned to 'believe'.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Lake Worth, FL
I believe your assumption is correct, most people I know get their beliefs and values from their parents. You can quiz them and argue with them all you want, but even the most logical of conclusions will not sway their opinion. As you said the more exposed you are to a lie, the more you believe it like the psychological phenomena of "mere exposure effect." Especially if that opinion guised as a fact is told by an authority figure with much conviction.

The education system does a poor job of teaching us how to think and instead reinforces us about what to think. This is critical in our emotional and interpersonal development. Without flexibility in our mental approach to life and ability to change views on a subject we can easily get stuck in cycles and not have a clue as to why we "get with the same kind of people" or "do the same destructive activity."

Adding to your point on the educational side of life, like you said we just learn facts of what happened. We don't learn much about ourselves or who we are. Where our emotions come from or how we come to a decision, all vital information if we are to fully experience life. Truth is there is still so little we know about human nature, this field is barely over a hundred years old. We are learning daily about ourselves, but knowledge is one thing using it is another. It does no good to know something and not do anything about it, hopefully psychology can grow even more to where the knowledge we are gathering is applied in a variety of settings. There is some great progress, but there is still a ways to go.

Mar 2015
Australia
Religious extremisms where people who begin to doubt what they believe, apparently could be a topic that could be discussed. I tend not to want to go there because people reading mentioned religious beliefs, to aid the sometimes obvious indifferences, may receive unpleasant replying comments.

While another idea may be that religious extremists would bother visiting psychology forums in the first instance.