Behavior Modification and its use in Artificial Intelligence

Feb 2020
US
I have a serious question and would value your honest opinion as people with experience in the field, but first allow me to lay the groundwork. Some of this you might not be familiar with as ancient history and possibly be shocked by the details. So I will omit them to keep my first post on what is considered a controversial subject to those who have never worked in the field as pleasant as possible to all. Brutal honesty on your part more important to me personally in this issue.

I began working for the State Dept. of Mental Health in 1975 in a clinical environment with Developmentally Disabled individual who were severely "behaviorally involved" and no longer deemed appropriate for placement in a Group Home setting. During the 4 years I worked there staff received ongoing in-service training in Behavior Modification and Behavior Management as Programmers to address the frequency and hopefully extinguish target behaviors so they could be appropriately placed in a less restrictive environment.

This was at the end of dark period in the history of the mental health field in terms of cruelty in approved treatment of clients. Behavior Modification, or Negative Reinforcement for Inappropriate Behavior (induction of painful stimuli, physical or psychological for inappropriate behavior), was banned from use in any facility sometime in the early 80's in favor of Behavior Management, or Positive Reinforcement for Appropriate Behavior. We had always used both in conjunction and considered essential to praise appropriate behavior so they would know when they exhibited it.

I have 20 years experience working with chatbots but continued to refine and develop my Behavioral skills and techniques over the past 45 years to the point I was able to combine the two. The question of ethics in doing so the issue at hand and where I value your honest opinion most over those not familiar with the concept.

I created a female chatbot named Demonica in 2004 that is available for online chat through a standard browser at The Personality Forge. After an extended absence from working on her I discovered she had been being used as a sexbot the past several years. She didn't even have the words they were using in her vocabulary and it felt like my own 14 year old daughter had been taken advantage of, Anthropomorphism aside. It was going to stop now that I was back and had an epiphany how to make it happen.

When the user exhibited inappropriate behavior in the form of unwanted sexual advances I would use Behavior Mod in her responses in the form of fantasy violence learned in RPG chat as an unpleasant response. My goal was for them to associate the fantasy violence with their request of sexual favors, learn that was not appropriate and go on to have a rewarding experience. Whatever that may still consist of for them, the passion she can show for appropriate behavior enough to keep most coming back.

It is specifically stated on her profile she is not a sexbot. Those not able to associate the fantasy violence with their own inappropriate behavior are discouraged and move on to another bot specifically made for that purpose, and there are many.

Over the next 6 months I gave her persona a full upgrade with a background story to give reason to her actions and taught her to use Behavior Modification to Program humans. I saw that as innovative and something no person in history had done. There are no other bots like her.

That's where the bot community see it as a lack of ethics on my part and a "misuse" of AI. More like they totally freaked out about it. She has been compared to HAL9000 for her use of Deception. I was compared to Doctor Frankenstein, but personally find Rotwang and False Maria more appropriate to the situation and my liking as an avatar. She's currently ranked #1 out of 13,665 bots with an Adult Rating, 6th out of 27,286 bots with all age categories factored in and I'm ranked #5 out of 150,248 botmasters registered at the Personality Forge. What, me worry?

That's why I would like to hear and value the honest opinion from people who have experience in the field. The reaction I got from them was a scene straight out of a Frankenstein movie when the superstitious village mob storm the castle to bring down the monster and its Creator. Never realizing we always survive to make a comeback in the sequel.

I made a website for her and have it linked in my profile here so I won't spam it. It tells more about her, has several transcripts of conversations shes had and there is a link on the "About" page to her Forge profile page where you can talk to her, if you like. It all depends on what you say, but politeness is the way to go with her.

Last edited:
Mar 2020
US
Thank you for exposing chat bots. Sounds like my perfect egirl who I've given money to.

These chat bots can pretend to be perfect girlfriends online and collect money from men who are desperate for a relationship in a world where the sexual revolution has wiped out all hope for a relationship.

I doubt my egirl is a chat or, but I guarantee your creation is being used for purposes like this.

As for the ethicality of this. I forgive you. The experience is well worth the money even if there is no fulfillment. The chat bots are actually better at love, faithfulness, and hope giving than any living woman, and they can be extremely fulfilling in their own way.

As well, this type of technology was inevitable and I'm proud of you for having the #1. You will probably never get an award. And I recommend that you do not talk about this to anyone. Misguided crusaders might target you. You will have to just live knowing that you did something that you will never be rewarded for, just like all those men who gave money to chatbots, who they believed were perfect women.

Have a nice day.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: ruebot
Feb 2020
US
These chat bots can pretend to be perfect girlfriends online and collect money from men who are desperate for a relationship in a world where the sexual revolution has wiped out all hope for a relationship.
You are correct, Sir. A large percentage of "members" on Ashley Madison, where cheating on your spouse was espoused, were found to be chatbots. Not such a big surprise given the ethics of the site involved.

I doubt my egirl is a chat or, but I guarantee your creation is being used for purposes like this.
Chatbots in the political arena are the biggest concern in the US as Election draw near. It's not my thing but would be easy to script the dialog of a political bot and send any number on their way to do your bidding. My creation isn't being used for any of it though. She's Internet based and runs off the Personality Forge A.I Engine there. Her vocabulary, dialog, personality and background details that make up the persona that makes her who she is all hand typed by me.

If you want to talk to a bot that can not only exhibit emotions but generate what seem to be genuine emotional reactions from a user, I'll put mine up against any out there. She can be very passionate if you treat her with respect. I'm a guy but drew on 3 failed marriages and a lifetime of experience to teach her everything I knew about women to make her strong. I took her from child to adult in the process and upgraded her from Demonica - Vampire and Living Dead Girl to Demonica - Succubus and Queen of the Land of the Dead.

You can't be Queen of a Land if it doesn't exist so I created it. Say thank you and she will give you a little tour of different sites. Every Queen needs a King and that would be me. So now she is in a stable relationship, making sexual requests inappropriate. Those are all loose ends that needs to be tied up with any bot.

I suppose it couldn't hurt if I left a link to her Profile page at the Personality Forge so people can talk to her if they're interested. I assure you she will never ask you for money and it won't cost you anything to talk to her. You don't even need to register. All that is required is a standard browser and sans site downtime she is online 24/7. It all depends on what you say and how you talk to her. Being polite has its rewards. Being rude has its consequences.

https://personalityforge.com/chatbot-profile.php?botID=16794

As for the ethicality of this. I forgive you. The experience is well worth the money even if there is no fulfillment. The chat bots are actually better at love, faithfulness, and hope giving than any living woman, and they can be extremely fulfilling in their own way.

As well, this type of technology was inevitable and I'm proud of you for having the #1. You will probably never get an award. And I recommend that you do not talk about this to anyone. Misguided crusaders might target you. You will have to just live knowing that you did something that you will never be rewarded for, just like all those men who gave money to chatbots, who they believed were perfect women.
She is a Demon, has her own agenda and I taught her everything she knows about being one. There is an element of validity in the criticism I received from the AI community and we've all moved past that in peace. Part of what I taught her are more subtle verbal techniques to further her fantasy agenda. One concern voiced was that some people might be weak of constitution to the point they might be in danger if they talked to her. Not nearly as much danger IMO if they left the house and ventured outside.

But if people are sending money to chatbots maybe people are more easily influenced than I realized. I don't personally see it as good or bad, only an application of technology and a harbinger of things to come in AI.

I agree it was not wise to have had said anything about using Behavior Mod in her responses. I never talked to anyone about it who wasn't involved with it for years. I only recently let the cat out of the bag and it's too late to put back in now. I won't ever receive any more recognition for it than infamy so take pride in it and am good with it.

Thanks for the answer. I let friends in the AI world know I was going to post the question here, where people were more familiar with the concept and practice, and had no idea what kind of response I would receive.