Anybody else here have schizoaffective Disorder

Nov 2021
United states
I have Schizoaffective Disorder, which is a hybrid illness that has both the symptoms of schizophrenia and a mood disorder such as Depression or Bipolar. Because of this it can be difficult to diagnose and is often mistaken for other disorders. For example when I ended up in the psychiatric hospital the first time I was diagnosed with Major Depression with psychosis and I was prescribed an Antidepressant and Antipsychotic and was released after a week. Everything went well for about three months, I took my meds like I was supposed to and went to therapy, but unfortunately despite this I started having paranoid delusions and had go back to the psyche hospital. While I was there the doctor changed my diagnosis to Schizoaffective Disorder because this time I had the psychosis without the depression or mania and to be diagnosed as Schizoaffective Disorder a person has to have at least one psychotic episode that is not being caused by severe depression or mania,which was the case with me. I was told I had the depressive subtype and not the bipolar subtype because I had never experienced any mania. Anyways, I have lived with this illness for 15 years and have been lucky enough to have medication that has worked really good for me. I have not had to go to the psychiatric hospital since I recieved this diagnosis.

Jul 2021
London
I don't think I know anyone with this no. I know low and high functioning autism and they are comorbid with some other but they are fine overall, we argue at times, but now that I had the talk we are trying to get along, but yes, I am now the "leader" to prevent the arguments, even if I never wanted to be. :) which is ok, trying to improve communication between us. Did you have depression or bipolar? I have had the depression but the cbt was really effective. Yes, I think to experience mania you'd have to at least be an alcoholic or something, as alcohol causes arousal. If you don't consume anything harmful you are going to be majorly depressed which is always low. I'd recommend CBT rather than anti-depressants.

Last edited:
Reactions: IveryKeys
Jul 2021
London
Ok, thanks for letting me know, could you explain why you suffer from this and did you split after a trauma too? As I had a talk with the cluster bs and other people with emotional health issues and they all say they never ruminate when they are traumatised, so they do feel it could be the reason and in fact I noticed they don't get quite as angry as before, but I still need to work on improving the health issues which Idk how to make them go to the doctor, I think going in group helps. Do you go to the doctor?

Nov 2021
United states
My mental illness was caused by 9 straight months of high stress combined with genetic factors. You see my employer had me working 60 hours or more a week for about 9 months and it had me really stressed out. I hated working overtime, I made enough money working a 40 hour week to pay all my bills. I guess in the end my mind couldn’t handle it, it just snapped. My father was bipolar so I already had a genetic predisposition to mental illness in my family, and that combined with months of too much stress caused my depression and psychosis.

Reactions: Usedandabused
Aug 2021
Austin, TX
I have had the depression but the cbt was really effective.
I commend you for staying with fifteen years of treatment, and hope you are able to go 100 more without further issues. As said above, you might look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy to help fine tune yourself. It operates on the premise that we can control our emotions, not let them control us. There is a Cognitive Behavior for Dummies which you might be able to get at your library or used.
Keep up the good work,
Ivery

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
I commend you for staying with fifteen years of treatment, and hope you are able to go 100 more without further issues. As said above, you might look into Cognitive Behavior Therapy to help fine tune yourself. It operates on the premise that we can control our emotions, not let them control us. There is a Cognitive Behavior for Dummies which you might be able to get at your library or used.
Keep up the good work,
Ivery
Thanks, I am fine now, but yes the CBT is highly recommended, I only did that post-operatively for 9 months and I healed, it really helped.

From my understanding anyone who may get a serious illness could also get depression, and it is caused from repressed anger, as an example, I had never felt anger for 29 years! Just sadness! Imagine that haha, now I do, but neither is really healthy, like anger causes stress in your body, even if you are not the aggressive type, just the critical type, still your pressure goes up so yeah, I hate both sadness or anger. Laughter and everything are all contagious but yes you lose energy through emotions. :) I don't remember what she did with the behavioural therapy, just positive-self talk kind of therapy i.e. if someone toxic comes your way, avoid them and create positivity for yourself that way, if someone puts you down, avoid them, (in her view you should answer back, but my method is to avoid, she said it's fine to avoid), if someone is too demanding and selfish, avoid them! If someone is abusive, avoid them! Anything that is too much for your health is to be avoided, that is what the theory was. It does help 99 percent of the cases, so yes, I think listening to that is ok, and I didn't get any side effects from it either.

Jul 2021
London
My mental illness was caused by 9 straight months of high stress combined with genetic factors. You see my employer had me working 60 hours or more a week for about 9 months and it had me really stressed out. I hated working overtime, I made enough money working a 40 hour week to pay all my bills. I guess in the end my mind couldn’t handle it, it just snapped. My father was bipolar so I already had a genetic predisposition to mental illness in my family, and that combined with months of too much stress caused my depression and psychosis.
Yes, that can be unhealthy, stress is one killer. I think everyone normal has issues with stress nowadays, as they say reduce reduce reduce, but if it's 100 percent stress all you get to reduce is by 1 percent or something. I mean I don't think it is that genetic, aside of schizophrenia, that is an actual genetic illness, the other mental health illnesses aren't really genetic, they predispose you perhaps, but you could through the environment become sensitised to those elements that predispose you and refuse them, thinking of both the Larmackian and Darwinian theories for moths in industrialised areas compared to those that are not.