Anti-Social Personality Disorder

May 2009
I've been pondering this for a long time. Maybe I can find some help here. I'm a psychology student in my freshman year in college, and recently we began to go more in depth into Anti-Social Personality Disorder. I was sort of suprised upon further examination of the symptoms, because it seemed to describe me perfectly. I did notice around about the time I turned 17 or so, my constant apathetic nature has been growing rapidly. I've always had violent thoughts/fantasies since I was younger, but lately they seem to be developing at a pretty quick rate. The thoughts occur much more frequently, and it's almost as if i am uncapable of caring for other people. My mother revealed to me the other day that she was leaving our family, and I laughed in her face and asked her how soon. I still feel no remorse. It's almost as if I'm emotionally numb except for fullfilling my own needs, I cannot honestly say that I care about anyone else.
I can't be offically diagnosed, because I never had a conduct disorder before 15, but was frequently in trouble at school and with the law. All the symptoms seem to fit right into place, though. I use people all the time for personal gain, I'm extremely manipulative, and basically I tell people what they want to hear just so long as I can see personal profit from it. Once again, I feel no remorse, and I have no sympathy for anyone else. Could I be an undiagnosed case?

Thoughts appreciated.

Reactions: Usedandabused
May 2009
These are serious matters and I don't want to belittle them. But I often get confused between "psychological disorder" and "maturity issue". I tend to see the world as full of people with psychological problems, and you are seeing yourself in that way. But it's been pointed out to me that most of us go through phases of lying etc. You're still pretty young, and you have good insight into your behavior. Perhaps you can use that information to gain wisdom.

SWM

May 2008
@MetalMonkey

does this way of being cause you problems? are you concerned or troubled in any way by this awareness of these aspects of your personality?

May 2009
[quote author=SWM link=topic=827.msg3570#msg3570 date=1243017757]
@MetalMonkey

does this way of being cause you problems? are you concerned or troubled in any way by this awareness of these aspects of your personality?
[/quote]

Yes, it does cause what others would consider social problems, but I'm more curious than concerned. It doesn't bother me at all, truthfully. There are a few people who I call "friends", but in actuality I use them as tools to get what I want. The lesser ignorant over time catch on to the facade, as it is daily ritual for me to use these people and others, but I feel no guilt. It's their own fault for being vulnerable and easy to manuipulate.

SWM

May 2008
[quote author=MetalMonkey18 link=topic=827.msg3520#msg3520 date=1242910745]
I've been pondering this for a long time. Maybe I can find some help here.

...... Could I be an undiagnosed case?

Thoughts appreciated.

[/quote]does it matter?

a diagnosis is simply a label given to a collection of symptoms or behaviours.
(the creature has eight legs therefore its a spider, if it had six legs it would be an an insect.)

sciencey type of folk need these classifications to help them make descisions.
(pull two legs of the spider to make it an insect)

what value would it be, or what purpose would it serve, to give yourself such a label?

May 2009
US
I, for one, do not think you are in any position to self-diagnose yourself.

When studying psychology, it is common for students to become introspective and even "diagnose" them self with one of the various illnesses they are studying.

Ask yourself, how much is this really affecting my life? How different is this from what I consider "normal?"

A lot of people are apathetic. That doesn't mean you are mentally impaired.

L

lolopo666

This thing also happened to me. It's funny though a little treacherous. But except of being manipulative(in a sense that you are using them for your own gain.) but sometimes I'm that kind of boy(in a sense of being a leader in aiding them to the person that you meant them to be)

I'm also emotionally numb perhaps I'm used to suppress my feelings in making decisions.

Jun 2009
[quote author=wasd44 link=topic=827.msg3649#msg3649 date=1243390842]
I, for one, do not think you are in any position to self-diagnose yourself.

When studying psychology, it is common for students to become introspective and even "diagnose" them self with one of the various illnesses they are studying.

Ask yourself, how much is this really affecting my life? How different is this from what I consider "normal?"

A lot of people are apathetic. That doesn't mean you are mentally impaired.
[/quote]

Word up. This guy is down like a clown in funky town.

Apr 2009
Puerto Rico
You're not sick, you're just not interested.

why are you studying psychology if you have the least bit interest in social contact? if you don't care, whats the point of helping people?

btw what do you like, or dedicate yourself and time to?

K

kisselj

You could be an undiagnosed case. In all reality, you could have had CD or ODD when you were younger, and it could have gone undiagnosed. However, I would tend to believe that rather than having anti-social personality disorder, you may have anti-social tendencies, and you are probably suffering from what my psyhcopathology professor dubed, psychology student disorder. Basically as you learn about diagnosis, you fit yourself into them, and believe that you would qualify for a diagnosis. This isn't a real Dx, just something that my professor noted occurs alot, just as it does to medical students when they are learning about the symptoms of biological disorders....

If you truly are worried about it though, I would consult your campuses psychologist / counselor. If they can not directly aide you, then they can direct you to who can.

-Jason