Am I as a patient allowed to express gratitude & appreciation in therapy?

Jul 2021
Germany
My therapist is offering me much extra support at the moment ,due to a difficult situation . Usually she tells me I'm only allowed to text her when something very important happens where I'd rather drink or hurt myself. Since 6 days now, I've been texting with her almost every day because she offered this but I'm not too sure if I can send her a text saying that I'm grateful and appreciative of her extra support, the check in texts and that this really gives me the feeling to not be alone , that she really cares about me and that I seem to be really important to her. .

Does anyone know if that's appropriate or has anyone made positive experiences with being upfront like this?

Reactions: Usedandabused
Jul 2021
London
My therapist is offering me much extra support at the moment ,due to a difficult situation . Usually she tells me I'm only allowed to text her when something very important happens where I'd rather drink or hurt myself. Since 6 days now, I've been texting with her almost every day because she offered this but I'm not too sure if I can send her a text saying that I'm grateful and appreciative of her extra support, the check in texts and that this really gives me the feeling to not be alone , that she really cares about me and that I seem to be really important to her. .

Does anyone know if that's appropriate or has anyone made positive experiences with being upfront like this?
Yes, I loved my therapist too. :) She healed me from depression and anxiety from trauma. It was good :) I still have a feeling not sure whether true or not that the healing may be temporary and not permanent, like if something horrific happens again I may fall back into that, like abuse from someone close etc. may lead me to that. I feel sad about some terrible posts on here.

Aug 2021
Austin, TX
It is always appropriate to express your gratitude, but beware of local cultural mores, norms, and customs. What is acceptable in one local (such as sending flowers) may be considered over the top in another...probably a nice card or gift card or something like that is the best way to go...
Ivery